PDA

View Full Version : unusual tool

ray hampton
10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
I seen a special saw with dual blades [one turn cw, one turn ccw] it are suppose to cut steel and other hard materials, how can two blades spin opposite directions since they are almost close enough to touch ?

Jim Koepke
10-30-2011, 12:59 PM
If you search on the name, you will find their page.

The one I found has their claim to fame "as seen on TV." That does not give me the feeling of a quality tool.

I would guess it makes a mess of everything it cuts.

jtk

Dale Cruea
10-30-2011, 4:58 PM
The one I saw on TV looked like a good tool. The guy cut a car in two with it. I don't think I want one but it looked OK. I think he said the counter rotating blades kept it from grabbing and jumping around like a cutting wheel on a hand grinder would. It was on the show Billy Mays had before he died.

Roger Newby
10-30-2011, 5:07 PM
"It was on the show Billy Mays had before he died."

That should pretty well sum it up.

Jason Roehl
10-30-2011, 5:14 PM
There are others on the market. I've never used any of them, so I've always wondered how well they work.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_SPM1758112303P?vName=Power+Tools+%26 +Equipment&cName=Power+Tools&sName=Portable+Power+Tools&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=L4

Larry Edgerton
10-30-2011, 6:15 PM
Save your money. Dual Saw is the original.

My supplier brought one by for me to try to see if they wanted to handle them. They are clumsy. Well, kind of like you would imagine a grinder with a sawblade in it. It is unique that it does not want to pull one way, but I don't see that as enough of an advantage.

I questioned the ability of the saw to cut steel as it has tiny carbide teeth. I clamped a piece of 2" mild steel square stock in the vise and took a stab at it. It cut amazingly well. At first. It slowed and when I finished cutting the piece I examined the teeth. What was left of them. Half were missing.

It is a novel tool, but I do not see any use for them. And it will not cut steel as advertised. Its been sitting in the junk tool pile under the bench for the last two years and I have not found a reason to use it yet.

Larry

ray hampton
10-30-2011, 6:37 PM
Larry, I've cut steel with a plain old circular saw [nails ] it not the saw as much as the blade in the saw, I just were watching a review on harbor freight site and you could see the blade spinning reall slow and even I could heard the motor start and stop, the saw had smoke pouring out of the vents, the operator with heavy work gloves on the hand said " switch burnt up " the comment was made that harbor freight were afraid to show his review, A SAW THAT WILL NOT KICK-BACK would be a good idea , consider that you can buy blades to cut metal and stone and use the same saw for both plus cut wood

Tim Janssen
10-30-2011, 8:43 PM
I seen a special saw with dual blades [one turn cw, one turn ccw] it are suppose to cut steel and other hard materials, how can two blades spin opposite directions since they are almost close enough to touch ?

No doubt one shaft is a tube and the other shaft rotates within that tube!
My guess

Tim

ray hampton
10-30-2011, 10:04 PM
you are correct, I realize this after I noticed that the hole in the two blades were of different sizes and after I remember that clocks are 3 speeds

can you shudder to think what will happen if we start the saw with a nail between the teeth

Brian Elfert
10-31-2011, 2:27 PM
I don't know if the original patent is expired now or what, but these saws are showing up all over under many different brand names. I thought it looked like a decent tool when I saw it on the TV show Pitchmen, but I have no desire to actually buy one.

Eric DeSilva
10-31-2011, 3:51 PM
If you really want something for metal, I highly recommend looking at Evolution's Rage line. I have a little 7 1/4" Rage chop saw that works beautifully--I will never, ever, use an abrasive chop saw again. This TCT saw spins slower than normal saws, so you can't just use their blades on your own circ saw, but they cut clean, don't deflect, don't heat up the work piece, and cut *fast*. They also make versions that look like compound miter saws and a handheld circular saw that will cut 1/2" plate steel. They are also remarkably inexpensive.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/us/index.html