PDA

View Full Version : snaggle tooth

Mark Baldwin III
10-29-2011, 10:18 PM
This is part of the tooth line for a Simonds I picked up last week. The teeth on this thing are a real horror show. It looks like it got sharpened (poorly) several times without ever being jointed. In fact, I jointed it tonight and some of the teeth almost disappeared.
It's going to take a lot of work, but at the very least I know there's a worse hack out there than me! I think I'll have to document the entire sharpening process (or should I say ordeal) for this one.

george wilson
10-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Use it on Halloween to frighten small children!!

James Owen
10-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I am saying this somewhat tongue in cheek, but it really will go faster than you think.... Give it a good jointing, cut new teeth as required, set those new teeth, and file it sharp...in a short time, you'll have a nice sharp saw ready to make some saw dust!!!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-30-2011, 7:27 AM
I don't think I've had one quite this bad, but last time I had a snaggle tooth saw, I found it easier to joint and file a few times, than try and have it all in one go - I had the same issue, where I realized if I jointed the whole the thing some teeth would get close to dissappearing.

It's nice to know you can't make it worse though, isn't it?

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2011, 7:51 AM
Yup, it's good to know that this saw can only get better! I will probably have to joint a second time (now go away, saw, or I shall taunt you a second time!). It's early, my apologies for the Python. After the second jointing, everything should come into line pretty well. I'll shape the teeth to a rip pattern, then they'll be sharpened crosscut. It's so much easier to make a separate step for that.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2011, 11:44 AM
But how does it cut?

Like a sparrow fart in spring...

It looks like they opted for a kind of progressive fleam with a twist of all one side for a few teeth then all the other side for a few.

My suggestion would be to mark the set in a way so you can keep it going to the same side to avoid fractures at the base of teeth.

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2011, 7:49 PM
Jim-I should have tried a cut before starting the work just to see. But the teeth were so out of line with each other that it seemed impossible. What I imagined happened is this: the previous owner sharpened it (ok...attempted to sharpen) and couldn't cut melted butter with it, so he put aside.
As of today, I managed to get the teeth filed into something that resembles a crosscut pattern. I refinished the handle too. I gave it a good sanding, left some of the character behind and put on some oil, shellac, and wax. I love that combination, by the way, it feels very nice in the hands.

I also believe that I earned myself a glass of the good stuff today.

A more detailed view of part one of the carnage is at http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/

Mark Baldwin III
11-12-2011, 9:46 PM
Finally got back to this saw and got it figured out. One last light jointing and some special attention to the more troublesome teeth.