PDA

View Full Version : Question for Oneida Owners

Mark Duksta
03-02-2005, 6:01 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just got my new Oneida 2HP Commercial wired and running. When I turn the power off and the motor is coasting it makes a sound like a bearing is grinding or something is rubbing. It kind of sounds like my grinder when I poeer it off. Is this a normal sound?

Mark D.

Bryan Nuss
03-02-2005, 6:22 PM
I have a 1.5 HP ... it just whispers down to a stop after a minute or so. No grinding.

If it has sucked up a hard bit of wood, it will rattle around in the cyclone can for a while until it eventually drops down into the drum, usually after shutdown.

Frank Pellow
03-02-2005, 6:24 PM
Mark, I have the same unit as you, and there is definately no grinding sound.

Steven Wilson
03-02-2005, 6:28 PM
I've heard a similar sound before but it went away after the first month. Give Oneida a call.

Mark Duksta
03-02-2005, 6:43 PM
OK. I went out and listened to it more closely. It sounds like the cooling fan inside the motor housing is rubbing on something. It sounds like plastic. I'll be calling Oneida tomorrow. This is kind of disappointing.

Mark

Peter Engelmann
03-03-2005, 8:36 AM
I'll be interested to know what they say...Mine has a similar sound.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 8:52 AM
Ditto, mine has a long wind down sound. The inertia of the fan keeps it spinning for a while. The noise mine makes doesn't sound destructive, but I'd still like to hear what Oneida has to say.

Mark Duksta
03-03-2005, 9:30 AM
I'm going home early today (around noon CST). I'm going to call and have them listen to the sound. I'll post what they have to say soon after that.

Mark

Ken Garlock
03-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Mark. Did you consider that it might the start-up centrifugal switch? The motor I got for my Pentz clone cyclone has a noticeable scratching sound as it nears stopping. I figure it is a hazard of mounting the motor with the shaft in the vertical; position.

Are there any motor experts "reading the mail" :confused:

Mark Duksta
03-03-2005, 1:24 PM
I spoke to Oneida about the sound. I forgot the name of the person I spoke with, but he was apparently the "motor guy". He said he's heard the sound in about 25 to 30 percent of the motors. He says especially in new motors the sound may be more pronounced and may lessen or dissappear altogether over time. He refered to various parts within the motor that may contribute to the sound including the centrifugal switch. I'm guessing the switch is what is making the noise since the sound does not start until the motor has been turned off for two or three seconds. He refered to the two year warranty and assurred me that if there was a problem that they would take care of it. So... I think I'm OK with it. NOW, on with the ductwork.

Mark

Rick Shelton
03-03-2005, 2:06 PM
New here, but thought I would jump in on this post. My Oneida had the same noise when I installed it last month. Called and was told the same as Mark was. Over the first couple of weeks the noise lessened and now it has stopped altogether, so I think you'll be fine.

JayStPeter
03-03-2005, 9:26 PM
New here, but thought I would jump in on this post. My Oneida had the same noise when I installed it last month. Called and was told the same as Mark was. Over the first couple of weeks the noise lessened and now it has stopped altogether, so I think you'll be fine.

Mine was the same. A month or two and it is now pretty much gone unless you listen real close.

Jay

Terre Hooks
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Sounds to me like the cooling fan is rubbing on the grille of the motor. When it "goes away", it has rubbed enough material off and it no longer makes this noise.

Wouldn't take much for the grille on the motor to get bumped a little, and I've seen that Oneida's packing ain't the greatest in the World.

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 3:30 PM
Wouldn't take much for the grille on the motor to get bumped a little, and I've seen that Oneida's packing ain't the greatest in the World.
To the contrary, I would say that my Oneida dust controller (2hp Commercial) had some of the best packaging of anything the I have ever purchased. :)

Mark Duksta
03-04-2005, 4:50 PM
I agree with Frank. They were the most well packaged items I've ever received. Plenty of padding material in the boxes where needed. The motor and housing had a plastic foam board that was attached to the housing and was sized to just fit inside the box so it would not move around. The cone was packed that way too.

Mark

greg kurtock
03-05-2005, 1:01 AM
Sounds to me like the cooling fan is rubbing on the grille of the motor. When it "goes away", it has rubbed enough material off and it no longer makes this noise.

Terre,

I don't know when you received your cyclone from OAS, maybe they changed their packaging, but mine came OVER packed. It was buried in foam and "cardboard shreddings".

My 2HP commercial's motor scratches terribly on spin-down (centrifuge switch for sure). But it's only a few weeks old. I'll worry about it if it doesn't go away within the 2 year warranty.

Greg