PDA

View Full Version : Decal Pen

Bobby McCarley
10-29-2011, 7:45 PM
I made this pen for one of the door prizes at the community luncheon at my wife's school. Their mascot is the eagle and the name of the school is Live Oak so the wood is live oak with an eagle decal on it. It is covered with about 10 coats of CA glue. The wood is kind of plain but its not a bad looking pen.

Bobby
Louisiana

Jon Lanier
10-29-2011, 8:03 PM
You did a good job on the decal! Nice pick of a kit to go along with it.

Peter Elliott
10-29-2011, 8:33 PM
Nice!

Did you buy the decal or print it out at home?

I tried those model decal kits and ruined everyone of them trying to get on the pen....

Bobby McCarley
10-30-2011, 7:33 AM
Peter, I used the Testors decal paper from Hobby Lobby and printed the decal on my ink jet printer. It took awhile to get the hang of it, but now I have a pretty good track record. Don't give up on it, because being able to print your own decals, opens up a world of possibilities to making some nice looking pens.

Bobby
Louisiana

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2011, 8:56 AM
Nice pen and decal. I love Sierra kits.

Donny Lawson
10-30-2011, 9:20 AM
Decals on pens are rather easy if you take your time. I usually sand my blank to 600 grit and then add 2 coats of thin CA and wet sand it smooth. Then I add the decal, let it dry about 30 min. then add another 8-10 coats of thin CA. Wet sand it it through 12000 grit and your done. I print all my decals from my jet printer at home. Just size them to fit the pen and the possibilities are endless. There are thousands of items you can add to a pen.

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
That's a real good looking pen Bobby! Someone at the luncheon is going to be very happy when they win this! Nice work!