PDA

View Full Version : New to thread got unique question

Craig Matheny
10-29-2011, 5:38 PM
I am restoring my 55 F100 and am getting close to the wood for the bed it is red oak clear dried been in the house under some equipment in the shop for 5 years and is clean.

My Question....

what and how would you suggest to finish on this for a strong exterior finish that is easy to maintain and will last?

Simple right?

Thanks in advance

Scott Holmes
10-29-2011, 8:34 PM
Red Oak is a poor choice of wood for a outdoor application. If this truck will be garaged and only used in nice weather than it's a non issue. If it's going to be out in the weather all the time then white oak is a MUCH better wood choice.

As for Finish I suggest finishing both sides before it's installed and then you will need to touch it up every few years. The UV inhibitors in marine finishes get used up and you need to reapply the finish. Pick a NON POLY marine varnish from a marine supply house or a bouoat supply house. Poly is highly susecptible to UV damage and should not be used outside. I know they sell "Poly" spar varnish and "poly" marine varnish at the big box stores... It will not last. Six months is all it's good for down in Houston. A quality marine will run $60 a quart and is worth every penny. Epifanes is one of the best.

Bill White
10-30-2011, 2:17 PM
Believe what the Scott man has told ya.
Remember, they made boats outa white oak.
Bill

Craig Matheny
10-30-2011, 3:44 PM
Scott thanks for the responce I have double checked the kits are red oak and I have had it to long to change anything. So with that said it will not be garaged and in the weather is there anything more that can be done to help protect it?

Thanks

Scott Holmes
10-30-2011, 7:31 PM
Epifanes every year. Clean and light sanding each year before the recoat...

Make sure you do something to the Epifanes to get all the air out of the can or it will be no good the next year. The good stuff is not cheap. Howie may know some specific ways to save Epifanes after opening the can.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2011, 7:38 PM
Like Scott said.

Can you fasten the boards into the truck with bolts that are easy to remove? The annual refinishing job would be much easier if you could take the boards out of the truck, sand them on the bench, and apply finish on the bench. Then you bolt them back into the truck.

Also, if they're easily unmounted from the truck, you can easily replace any that get damaged beyond refinishing help.

Scott Holmes
10-30-2011, 7:40 PM
Not as much need to recoat the surface that's face down and attached to the truck. UV can't get to it so it will last much longer.

Craig Matheny
10-31-2011, 1:02 PM
Thank you all for your input what if I did like an oil rubbed finish that would be easy to coat?

John TenEyck
10-31-2011, 3:16 PM
If you want minimal maintenence, use primer and paint. If you want a clear finish, Epifanes is great stuff, but you will have to recoat every couple of years, as Scott said. Forget about exterior oil finish. It's worthless, especially on your red oak.

Mike Konobeck
10-31-2011, 3:42 PM
Waterlox makes a marine grade finish but go with a proven finish and listen to Scott.

Go with white oak. We use it as dock boards and built a deck out of it and it holds up well on a large lake here in MN. I own a classic and don't take it out in bad weather so it may not be something you have to worry about too much but just nice to know that it will hold up better. It is a bit heavier too so depending on your power plant you may want some extra weight over the wheels. :-)