PDA

View Full Version : Crafsman spindle sander

Bryan Cramer
10-29-2011, 4:13 PM
Finally I get some time to work on some nicer projects. I was getting tired of working with pine, plywood, and screws!:eek: Over the summer and into the fall I have been commissioned to do set work for a play. With the play done, I have Christmas presents to make. My current projects have a lot of curved parts. I have been previously using a sanding drum in my drill press. I used it so much the bearing or bushing on the spindle holding the chuck is loosening up. I now can wiggle it side to side slightly. The wobble is manageable, but I don't want to make it worse. I am now forced to buy a bench-top spindle sander. The Rigid I do not like because of the plastic base. I can't afford a Jet or General International. My next two choices are the Craftsman or a Delta. I have not found a used one even after searching Craigslist for three years! I can get a eighty dollar discount on the Craftsman. What is your opinion?

Ron Jones near Indy
10-29-2011, 4:37 PM
I have the Jet and love it; if I were to buy an OSS today, I would get the Rigid. The Jet is just too expensive for me at this time. The Rigid gets great reviews, and the versatility it gives is a big plus. I know it is plastic and aluminum, but that doesn't bother me after reading the reviews from here and elsewhere.

Rick Thom
10-29-2011, 5:08 PM
I have had and used the Ridgid for @ 5 years now with no issues. A very versatile machine and great value for $..

Jeffrey Makiel
10-29-2011, 8:49 PM
I have the Jet and agree that it's a bit pricey. But it seems sturdy. It also accepts a 3" spindle which many others do not. Unfortunately, the 3" spindle, with table insert, is a pricey option. I think I was well over $400 invested when done.

Jeff :)

Bryan Cramer
10-29-2011, 9:45 PM
The price of the Craftsman after the discount would be $220. That is $20 more than the Rigid. Would the Craftsman be a better buy in quality, not features? It comes with a 3" spindle.

Hunter A Keller
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I have the Rigid as well. It's pretty nice and I use it quite a bit. I do like the table on the Craftsman better, but I liked the verstility of the belt/spindle combination and the fact that the table tilts. As for quality, I don't think there's any big difference in these, really. The next step up to bigger/heavier/more versatile/higher quality gets expensive in a hurry. You'll be happy with either one.

Rob Holcomb
10-30-2011, 8:48 AM
I have the Rigid belt/spindle sander too. It has been going strong for three years now without any problems whatsoever and I use it regularly.

Bill White
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Quit worryin' 'bout the plastic. My Ridgid has been a real workhorse.
Bill

Gene Howe
10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
The Rigid before the Craftsman, for sure!