PDA

View Full Version : 12 Inch Miter Saw Choices

John Petsche
10-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I am trying to find a non-sliding miter saw that has 2×10 lumber cut capacity. Ones in the past that could do this were Ridgid 4121 and a delta miter saw which are all discontinued. Currently I have found that dewalt dw716 can accomplish this by removing the fence and adding/raising the table with a sacrificial board. If anyone has any comments on the dewalt dw716 please share, (precision, durability, etc).

I am leaning towards a fixed saw for precision and space savings, the only slider that I think would accomodate all my needs is the newer bosch glide which is way to much money for me right now.

If anyone has any experience with the above listed fixed miter saws or know of any other suggestions I would love to hear some (good and the bad). Thank you.

Greg R Bradley
10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a friend that has the Ridgid 4121. It really won't do a 2x10 to the point where you would actually want to do that.

I watched the Dewalt rep do the procedure for cutting a 2x10 and came to the conclusion that they only came up with that nonsense so that they could advertise that it will cut a 2x10. Maybe if you only need to cut 1 or 2.

Basic rule is that 2x10s require a slider. Even the Hitachi 15" didn't claim to cut 2x10s.

Mark Ashmeade
10-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a friend that has the Ridgid 4121. It really won't do a 2x10 to the point where you would actually want to do that.

I watched the Dewalt rep do the procedure for cutting a 2x10 and came to the conclusion that they only came up with that nonsense so that they could advertise that it will cut a 2x10. Maybe if you only need to cut 1 or 2.

Basic rule is that 2x10s require a slider. Even the Hitachi 15" didn't claim to cut 2x10s.

Have you thought about the Bosch GCM12SD glider? It doesn't slide, it glides. 2x10 no problem.

John Petsche
10-29-2011, 1:34 PM
I have looked at the Bosch and think it is great for space savings, cut capacity, and accuracy. However the price tag is way over what I want to spend $700 last time I saw.

thomas prusak
10-29-2011, 6:15 PM
Dw716 non slider is as good as a saw gets as far as accuracy. Durability and reliability wise no other saw comes close. We have 8 or 10 of these that travel in gang boxes throughout the country. We have tried every other brand miter saw and trust me on this, none of them compare. Rigid 12" didn't make it through its first project. The newest makita 12" slider looks very tempting and is really the only saw I haven't owned of all the major brands. The makita has a space saving slider setup also. If you're near Cleveland Ohio I'll sell you a used 12" miter saw in good condition, priced very fairly.

Kevin Presutti
10-29-2011, 6:35 PM
CPO Bosch has a ReCon with same as new warranty for $619.48 plus $6.99 shipping. If I were cutting 2x10's for a living and didn't want a slider because of space issues this would be the one to look at. You can always look on CL but I assume a buddy would get it long before it ever made to CL.

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2011, 11:17 AM
I have been researching miter saws till I'm blue in the face. I went yesterday and looked at the Dewalt 12" and have to agree with Greg's statement. Cutting 10x stock seems to be an afterthought with this model, not designed into the saw. Having said that, If needed you can cut 10X stock and this time tested saw seems to get the best all round reviews.

John Petsche
10-30-2011, 1:43 PM
I think that the dewalt DW716 12 inch is probably my best bet for a quality fixed affordable miter saw and anything larger I will just place in the crosscut sled. Dewalt price is over half of a new bosch and saves valuable space.

Thanks for the offer Thomas, but I live in Iowa, so it seems a little to far.

Comments are all very appreciated.

raymond Abel
10-30-2011, 3:20 PM
I havd a DeWalt 1718 for many years & it worked very well.
Now I have a Festool that I would not chance for a 12".
BUT I have to choose 12", I would go for a
Bosch12" Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=GCM12SD

Ray

Doug Colombo
10-30-2011, 8:53 PM
CPO Bosch has a ReCon with same as new warranty for $619.48 plus $6.99 shipping. If I were cutting 2x10's for a living and didn't want a slider because of space issues this would be the one to look at. You can always look on CL but I assume a buddy would get it long before it ever made to CL.
If you can at all swing the $620, the Glide is the way to go !!! I bought one a few months ago and have never looked back - what a saw !!!