PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl

Greg Just
10-28-2011, 10:48 PM
This silver maple bowl is the largest bowl (13 inches) that I have turned. It is about 4 inches deep. The rim is textured following a method of using an engraver I learned from Molly Winton. The rim was then painted with black gesso and finshed with General Finishes WTF. The finish was a bit too shiny for me so I knocked it down with some steel wool. Turning something this big forced me to make a new donut chuck in order to finish the bottom.

I should have mentioned that this wood was courtesy of Creeker Doug Swanson who gave it to me over 2 years ago.

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Very nice form, and I like the bottom..........nice rim treatment.........makes for a bowl with eye appeal.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Greg that is a nice looking bowl. That wood turners finish turned out pretty nice. I ordered a quart of it and will just fill my 8 oz bottle.

John Keeton
10-29-2011, 7:29 AM
Well done, Greg! I like the textured/black rim. Do you ever just use a jam chuck to finish the bottom? I rarely use a donut chuck anymore - especially with a vacuum setup or using jam chucking.

Richard Jones
10-29-2011, 7:44 AM
Greg,

I love that foot! Great use of color for the contrast. Turns an otherwise stark bowl into an eye-catcher.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Greg Just
10-29-2011, 8:01 AM
Well done, Greg! I like the textured/black rim. Do you ever just use a jam chuck to finish the bottom? I rarely use a donut chuck anymore - especially with a vacuum setup or using jam chucking.

John:

I had an accident a couple of years ago turning the other half of this same log and cut my thumb requiring a trip to the ER. I didn't want a repeat that's why I went with the donut. A vacuum chuck is on my wish list and hope to add that to my collection of tools next year. I don't turn a lot of bowls and rarely are they this big.

charlie knighton
10-29-2011, 8:32 AM
Greg, very nice, love the form and the edge

Doug W Swanson
10-29-2011, 9:48 AM
Great looking bowl, Greg! I really like the edge treatment and the foot....

Do you want any more of that maple? I still have some left!

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Greg - that is a real nice bowl! I like the color contrast, the defined rim and the classic form! Nice work!

Rich Aldrich
10-29-2011, 6:01 PM
Greg, I really like the bowl. The wood has more character than I thought it would.

Scott Lux
10-29-2011, 9:41 PM
Simple, elegant, beautiful. What else could you ask of it?