PDA

View Full Version : Large walnut vessel

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-28-2011, 9:26 PM
Here is a walnut vessel I roughed turned in late 2008. I finished it about a year ago but never got around to posting a pic of the finished piece. I recently remembered that Steve S said he couldn't wait to see it finished when I posted a pic of the rough turning several yrs ago. So here it is ( a year later):o
It was turned from a 454 lb walnut log that was 24" in dia. The finished size is 26 1/4" tall X 14 5/8" dia. Weighing in at 7 lbs.
The wood is as near as perfect as you can get, Not a single defect that I can find. it's finished with high gloss varnish.

Jim Burr
10-28-2011, 9:29 PM
Holy Rusted metal Batman!!! That thing is huge, well designed and finished to a T!!! You need to make a video!

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 9:33 PM
Absolutely Fabulous, Joe............love that high gloss finish and your form is spot on perfect.................beautiful work........thank you for posting the finished piece!

charlie knighton
10-28-2011, 9:34 PM
very nice, nice form, and i must say nice lathe, is it a AB

John Keeton
10-28-2011, 9:44 PM
Joe, you have posted some nice stuff - but, this one tops them all!!! Gorgeous!!

Marty Eargle
10-28-2011, 9:47 PM
Finish, form, and wood...perfect. I can't imagine what kind of an undertaking making something that large must be...excellent work.

Nate Davey
10-28-2011, 9:54 PM
It's odd that you posted this when you did. I just re-watchd the Elmer Adams YouTube videos. Beautiful job on that piece. Gorgeous wood, form and finish. Any pics of your hollowing rig for this one????

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
That is a beautiful piece Joe. Form, finish and the wood is awesome.

Scott Hackler
10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Really cool Joe. I love these giant vessels.

Bob Bergstrom
10-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Joe, you must have snuck into Iowa to get any walnut that nice. That is one beautiful log. I used to teach up in northeast Iowa and one of the caveats was the most beautiful dark chocolate walnut. My mother in law bought me some 100 board feet at a farm sale for all of 50 cents a board foot. It was 12" wide and full of feather. There is some great wood up there. Thanks for showing such a wonderful work. Hope to see you at SOFA. I see Steve is demoing there.

Ian Jeffcock
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Wow ! Awesome

Joe Watson
10-29-2011, 1:28 AM
Very impressive.
How many hours invested ?

Michelle Rich
10-29-2011, 6:25 AM
Astounding that the vessel weighs 7 lbs.. did you get anything else for the 447 lbs? other than sawdust? Pretty vase and it does look splendid.

Keith E Byrd
10-29-2011, 6:54 AM
Fantastic! Ireally like this - beautiful job all around!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-29-2011, 8:20 AM
Joe, you must have snuck into Iowa to get any walnut that nice. That is one beautiful log. I used to teach up in northeast Iowa and one of the caveats was the most beautiful dark chocolate walnut. My mother in law bought me some 100 board feet at a farm sale for all of 50 cents a board foot. It was 12" wide and full of feather. There is some great wood up there. Thanks for showing such a wonderful work. Hope to see you at SOFA. I see Steve is demoing there.
Thanks Bob. Actually the walnut came from ILL. but it does have that same dark color & there's no sap wood on this piece so the whole piece is really rich colored.
Unfortunately I won't made it to SOFA this year. I couldn't get time off of work to go we have several people missing right now.
I'd still like to see you come to our Nov. club meeting though.

Rex Guinn
10-29-2011, 8:31 AM
Joe that is fantastic, it's one of the best I've seen at that size. How long did it take you to rough it out? Do you have any pics of the process?

Sid Matheny
10-29-2011, 9:39 AM
That is a super piece! Thanks for sharing.

Sid

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-29-2011, 7:27 PM
Astounding that the vessel weighs 7 lbs.. did you get anything else for the 447 lbs? other than sawdust? Pretty vase and it does look splendid.
Thanks & I did get something out of the shaving too. I got a sore back & tired of sweeping them up.:(

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Beautiful work Joe!! Well worth the wait!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-30-2011, 7:42 AM
Beautiful work Joe!! Well worth the wait!
Thanks Steve. I couldn't have done it with out the use of a Robust American Beauty. Maybe some where down the road you'll find that special large piece of wood & put your Beauty to the test. I'd love to see the kinds of pieces you could come up with using some large logs.

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Joe - first thing I have to do is start lifting weights!! With my shop being in the basement - there are certain limitations as to just how big I will be able to turn! I wouldn't mind turning something similar to what you do but that is an entirely different tool world than what I presently have! Course, figuring out how to turn some things is a lot of the fun anyway!

I am looking forward to seeing your next turning! Always a treat!

Bill Bolen
10-30-2011, 1:16 PM
Beautiful piece Joe. And taking the size into consideration makes it even more impressive!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-30-2011, 5:49 PM
Joe - first thing I have to do is start lifting weights!! With my shop being in the basement - there are certain limitations as to just how big I will be able to turn! I wouldn't mind turning something similar to what you do but that is an entirely different tool world than what I presently have! Course, figuring out how to turn some things is a lot of the fun anyway!

I am looking forward to seeing your next turning! Always a treat!
Steve I guess I forgot your shop is in a basement. There's no way I would want to try to man handle a piece this large down a flight of stairs. Makes my back hurt just thing about it.

joel nucifore
10-31-2011, 5:46 AM
Joe, it was great talking with you last week... Now that pc is what I was talking about just ordered steves 1 1/4" bar.. and steve from the sanding glove said he would ask Steve S. about a larger one???????? So tell them that was your input for that sale....

And looking on craigs list for frezzer now -------DAM YOU--------- lol

Paul Heely
10-31-2011, 6:52 AM
Beautiful piece. Love the form and finish. Thanks for sharing it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-31-2011, 4:42 PM
Joe, it was great talking with you last week... Now that pc is what I was talking about just ordered steves 1 1/4" bar.. and steve from the sanding glove said he would ask Steve S. about a larger one???????? So tell them that was your input for that sale....

And looking on craigs list for frezzer now -------DAM YOU--------- lol
Thanks Joel. There's nothing better than spending someone elses money.:D

Cathy Schaewe
10-31-2011, 9:40 PM
Wow. I am seriously impressed - by the size, the form, and the beauty of the wood. A real work of art!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-01-2011, 9:30 AM
Wow. I am seriously impressed - by the size, the form, and the beauty of the wood. A real work of art!
Thanks Cathy.
It's the wood itself that I was impressed with. There's no sap wood or knots or any flaws in the wood. It was truly a rare find. Usually the walnut around here has a lot of white sap wood & lots of large knots.

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 1:33 PM
Great work Joe! That is a special piece of wood made into a special work of art!

curtis rosche
11-01-2011, 2:23 PM
Steve I guess I forgot your shop is in a basement. There's no way I would want to try to man handle a piece this large down a flight of stairs. Makes my back hurt just thing about it.

there is no handling it, just roll it and make sure nothin in inbetween it and a solid wall at the bottom :p:D

Tim Rinehart
11-01-2011, 3:24 PM
wowzer! Big log and fantastic job! Would be nice to see shots of rig you use to hollow that piece!
I now understand Steve S's desire for crane!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-01-2011, 5:18 PM
Tim I use the hollowing system designed by Steve Sinner and made by him & Jerry Sargent. They market their tools under Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. He sells them through The Sanding Glove. I think you could find pictures on either of the two web sites.

Mike Cruz
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Joe, walnut is my favorite wood and you really put this walnut on a pedistal. Great job.

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-05-2011, 7:10 PM
Joe, walnut is my favorite wood and you really put this walnut on a pedistal. Great job.
Thanks Mike for taking time to look & comment. This was a exceptional piece of walnut . Walnut has long been my favorite wood for flat work & turning. However Hickory is fast becoming my favorite turning wood.