PDA

View Full Version : Journey to Egypt - Woodworking?

Brian Kent
10-28-2011, 7:22 PM
I am about to head for Cairo, Egypt for 2 weeks. My daughter will live there for 2 years, working with a job training group called ThinkandDo (.org)

We aren't worried about safety, because it's not like we will be just across the river or just down the street from Tahrir Square. No, we will be just across the river AND just down the street from Tahrir square.;)

We will be mostly in Cairo and suburbs and just one day in Alexandria. I don't have any woodworking places to go to but I would really like to see the chip carving on trays and the Oud-making. I don't know where to look, so I will just keep my eyes open. I know I could buy an un-needed oud at the Hana Kahlili district but I don't know if any are made there.

I'll bring photos if I can get them.

Brian

charlie knighton
10-28-2011, 7:30 PM
sounds good, Allan Batty, talked of looking at the columns and figurering out the ratios

Brian Kent
10-28-2011, 7:34 PM
I just found out the musical instrument makers are on Mohamed Ali street. But wouldn't that be like saying "It's on Peachtree in Atlanta"? I bet there is more than one Mohamed Ali street in Cairo.

Paul McGaha
10-28-2011, 7:50 PM
Safe travels Brian, For you and your family.

PHM

Brian Kent
10-28-2011, 7:53 PM
Thank you Paul. Is it Jameel Abraham that is the Oud Maker on the creek?

Brian Kent
11-05-2011, 5:35 PM
This will take several posts. I saw Cheop's Great Pyramid about 23 years ago, but I just saw Pharaoh Cheops' boat for the first time today. It is made mostly out of Cedar from Lebanon, with some boards 75 feet long. I'll post quite a few pictures, but first, note that this is 4,500 years old. I think this was the early bronze age in Egypt. Please note the complexity of joinery as well as the fact that the boards are still in fine shape and not rotted away.

The first two photos are models of the stitched joinery that holds the hull together. The cross sections show ropes that go about half-way deep into the boards, so that they are braced and sewn on the inside and not full of holes on the outside.

The case of tools are obviously not the originals, but the tools used to restore the boat by woodworking archaeologists.

Brian Kent
11-05-2011, 5:41 PM
And now for the boat itself. This is the original wood, built above the boat's "tomb". It was in a pit covered by dozens of 15 ton blocks of limestone. The intent was for the boat to carry the Pharaoh into the afterlife.

The photo on the right shows the exposed stitching that holes the hull together.

Brian Kent
11-05-2011, 5:46 PM
This joint was the most amazing for me. Please let me know what you would call this! On the first picture it is at the ar right. In the others it is near the center.

It joins together two of the long hull planks. They have a complex curve overlap with a notch to keep them from separating lengthwise and ropes to hold the notches together.

Brian Kent
11-05-2011, 5:50 PM
The rudders are on the left picture. Pic #4 shows how the deck is sewn to the hull.

Brian Kent
11-05-2011, 5:55 PM
And the last set.

The yellow glow in these photos, which were taken on my daughters Canon SLR camera and already adjusted for saturation, is due to the very bright sun and reflections off of the pyramid and yellow sand. Some of these are also adjusted for hue to tone down the yellow glow.

Dale Cruea
11-05-2011, 9:11 PM
Great pictures Brian, Thanks for sharing.

Ed Griner
11-06-2011, 9:45 AM
Thats great Brian,keep us posted. Ed

Brian Kent
11-06-2011, 9:57 AM
Does anybody have a name for that joinery on post #8 of this thread?

Ed Griner
11-07-2011, 9:46 AM
I would say its one of many variations of a scarf joint. A scarf is used to join two pieces of lumber. Ed

charlie knighton
11-07-2011, 8:01 PM
super pictures thanks for sharing, now i know why Mahoney's walnut oil is famous