PDA

View Full Version : Festool Rotex RO 150 E-Plus vs. RO 150 FEQ

Matt Meiser
10-28-2011, 2:19 PM
Someone offered to sell me a RO 150 E-Plus at a great price. I can't find much about what the differences between that and the new RO 150 FEQ. Anyone know the details?

Chris Tsutsui
10-28-2011, 5:30 PM
Here's my shot at it...

I think the "E" series is the older discontinued model.

The sanders come in standard and "PLUS" package. The PLUS comes with fastfix sanding pad and protector. Available in 110V or 240V.

I have an RO 150 FEQ and find it's a little squirrely to use so I mostly use the random ortbit ETS 150. I would try to get the newer models as usually festool only shows improvements over previous models.

The only exception I can think of is the domino revision where they went from metal push pints to tabs in which case i like the older model that had pins. Something about getting into patent trouble with the pins so they had to revise the Domino.

Jeff Monson
10-28-2011, 6:26 PM
Matt, as far as I know there is minimal differences. If its a good price then go for it, its a great sander for flattening out surfaces and removing alot of material. I like Chris stated, tend to use my ETS150 quite a bit more than the RO150. Its still a geat tool to have, I'd never consider selling either of my Festool sanders as they both have a place in my shop.

Craig Michael
10-28-2011, 8:39 PM
I think the main difference are the balance on the new one is much better. The new one has the edge protector which makes it much easier to sand near baseboard, on stairs, etc. I certainly like the new style much better.

Scot Ferraro
10-29-2011, 2:13 PM
The new version also has the new style sanding pad that runs cooler than the older style for better abrasive life and dust collection. You can remove the dust shoot on the new version too when polishing. I think either one is great and if the price is right, I would go for it. It does have a learning curve and there is a break-in period on new tools of 10 hours or so as the bearings loosen and the brushes seat themselves. I do not have any issues using it and it is very smooth and controllable.

Scot

Matt Meiser
10-29-2011, 6:29 PM
I decided there was enough benefits to the new one that I picked one up at my local Woodcraft today. They only had the new style Systainer amnd after checking with Bob Marino that's the only way to get it anymore.

Gary Curtis
10-29-2011, 7:08 PM
I've had an RO 150E+ since 2005. Two days ago the local Festool dealer sold me some buffing pads for it and told me local tradesmen who own the newer model frequently ask if he has an older one for sale. Either new or used. That surprised me.

The older model (mine) has a 500w motor. That was upgraded to 800w in the later one. The new model has the quick disconnect power cord. And the dust collection was changed to a 9-hole pattern. Mine has 8 holes. Unchanged are the options for a 5mm or 3mm orbital sanding action. Mine has a turn and lock switch on the side to change from rotary to orbital modes. The newer one has a simple slide switch on the top of the motor housing to make the change.

The balance on the tool, however, is what is most obvious. Mine, with the smaller motor, has a much taller motor housing directly above the sanding pad. The new one will stand up when resting on the pad. Mine falls back and rests on the handle. That difference would certainly alter the feel of the tool when operating. And I would guess that is why those customers ask to buy an older one. Not having used the new one, I wouldn't know.

Gary Curtis
10-29-2011, 9:05 PM
One more difference. The 150 FEQ has an edge guard, a curb really, which allows you to sand on a horizontal surface, right up to a vertical surface without scarring it. Really a nice improvement, and the one single advantage I wish I had.