PDA

View Full Version : Lasering a Beveled Edge

Chris DeGerolamo
10-28-2011, 2:10 PM
So, I just stumbled on something while working on some Rowmark...if you drop the laser bed so that the spot size is about an 3/16" and vector cut a circle/oval etc, the mark will burn off the cap and some of the core but not go through. Run the same job with the bed focused properly and viola! - you get a simulated beveled edge created much faster than rastering.

Maybe some of you use this technique already...

Dan Hintz
10-28-2011, 2:22 PM
There have been a number of solutions posted over the last few years for beveling, this one (or similar) included. Another method is to run a few vector lines at increasingly lower powers around the perimeter, decreasing power as the vector "box" gets smaller.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-28-2011, 2:34 PM
Yeah, I've seen that one and several others...I posted 'cuz I had not seen one regarding defocusing the bed.

Definitely don't want to beat a dead horse.

John Noell
10-28-2011, 2:41 PM
First time I've heard this solution. I'll give it a try later today.

Terry Swift
10-28-2011, 4:31 PM
So, I just stumbled on something while working on some Rowmark...if you drop the laser bed so that the spot size is about an 3/16" and vector cut a circle/oval etc, the mark will burn off the cap and some of the core but not go through. Run the same job with the bed focused properly and viola! - you get a simulated beveled edge created much faster than rastering.

Maybe some of you use this technique already...

Are you saying take the lens down to 3/16th; as I'm not sure what you mean by spot size? I don't have an Epilog and my ULS is 6 years old and does not auto focus or have a red spot option. All of my measurements are using the provided focus tool.

Tony Lenkic
10-28-2011, 7:02 PM
Terry,

To de-focus your machine by 3/16" you need to move your table down aprox. to display 0.25 if you are cutting 1/16" plastic.
With no material on bed using you focus tool display should read 0.00 when you press Z button.
You do not need auto focus to do this. On my machine I have AF but I have not used it in years.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-29-2011, 5:39 PM
Thanks for sharing Chris. Like John, this is the first time I recall seeing anyone post such a solution on this forum. I'll have to give it a try later.