PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi CB75F

Steven Wayne
10-28-2011, 1:18 PM
I'm looking at one of these saws today. Is this a good resaw machine? Good machine in general? Or should I shy away?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Buxton
10-28-2011, 1:48 PM
I put my money in a regular bandsaw. The Hitachi motor is a screamer. The saw itself is designed only for resaw blades, and wants Hitachi's own specialized blade. The blade's teeth are steel, and getting them sharpened is a bit of a trick. And the saw is rather expensive. For similar prices you can get regular bandsaw with a similar resaw capacity. On a regular saw, you can run small blades for curved work, or wider blades for resaw work. I'm a big fan of carbide-tipped blades for resaw. I run a Lennox Woodmaster CT on a Laguna LT16HD.

Use SMC's Search this Forum function to find lots of threads about the CB75F.

Steven Wayne
10-28-2011, 8:07 PM
This would be a dedicated resaw machine. It comes with 2 new blades. It looks to be in very good condition. I'm fine with changing the motor if need be. The price is well under $1k. Anyone else have any info? I have read almost all of the threads I found on SMC.

My thought is to buy the saw and use it as is. If I need more motor or hate the sound, I can put a 2-5 HP motor on it.

Larry Edgerton
10-29-2011, 7:38 AM
I had one of those. It was a great saw.

I did not have room for everything when I downsized and let it go. I ran thousands and thousand of feet of lumber through that saw, and it just kept on cutting. I had both sets of guides, for the narrow blades and the 2" resaw blade. Getting blades is no problem. The motor does scream, it is a gear reduction motor, and I think the noise mostly comes from the gears. It never quit. I did replace it however just because of the noise. I had the correct rpm 5hp motor sitting around and converted. It cut straight, always worked, and it paid for itself on the first job. Its not pretty, but its a tool not a sports car.

I kept a 14" delta around for small stuff, and a 20" delta. When I moved I sold my 36" Oliver and the Hitachi and kept the 20" Delta. Not sure I made the right choice, but the Hitachi was old, and had cut a lot of wood, so I kept the Delta with less use.

For what they are made for they are great.

Larry