PDA

View Full Version : New to Turning - Advice on an early Christmas gift from wife

Paul Dell'Anno
10-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I am new to turning and have actually signed up for a weekend class at my local Woodcraft. The wife has given her blessing for a new lathe with the stipulation that I build a desk for my daughter's room. Since I am new to turning, I have scoured the forums and internet and although I would love to have a PM, budget has me leaning towards the following two lathes:

Delta 46-460 with extension and legs - $1000

Jet 1442VSK - $1200

I would like a lathe that will suit my needs, and not make me wish that I purchased something "bigger and better" from the start. Right now, I see the lathe being used for legs and spindles. Bowls and pens likely down the line.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance for the help.

Jerome Hanby
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I bought my wife the Jet 1220VS Mini Lathe.there isa an extension available for it. Built her the Shopnotes Mini Lathe stand and mounted it. Stand has room to add the extension. her main interest was bowls and pens, but with the extension, spindles should be no problem. Think it sells for less than $600 on Amazon... Was gong to buy her a Nova, but Woodcraft's sale (at the time) expired before I could pull the trigger..

Paul McGaha
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Paul,

JET has their lathes on sale for 20% iff thru 11-18-11 per an email I got from tools-plus this morning.

PHM

Chris Tsutsui
10-28-2011, 1:19 PM
Check Craigslist first and search for "lathe".

I was patient for 4 months and eventually found a Oneway 2436 for an asking price of $1,000.

I pulled the rigger on that one of course. :)

If there's nothing on craigslist then I would look at the black friday / cyber monday deals for lathes at woodcraft and rockler. There will be some decent sales & deals coming up soon. Already i'm seeing black friday ads in the woodcraft and rockler circulars.

Paul Johnstone
10-28-2011, 2:21 PM
woodcraft is having a sale on Nova's as well. Don't remember the details but check it out.