PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite "odd food combo"?

Rich Engelhardt
10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I was just eating a peanut butter and mustard sandwich and wondering what other oddities people enjoy?

Couple others:

- Frito's and mashed potatos w/ketchup.
- Chocolate candy bar washed down with beer.
- Orange juice/maple syrup/butter, heated & dumped on pancakes.

Any others to share?
Something you'd never think of offering to anyone else - just something you enjoy.

One I'm going to try when I get a chance is peanut butter w/a big slice of Vadilla onion.
Maybe a dash of tobasco.

Bonnie Campbell
10-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Peanut butter bacon sandwich or a dill pickle peanut butter sandwich

Belinda Barfield
10-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Off the top of my head . . .

Peanut butter and cheddar cheese sandwich.

Bulldog shots - cinnamon schnapps in a shot glass with 10 to 20 drops of Tabasco added.

Veggiebull - Red Bull and spicy V8 in equal amounts.

Pineapples sandwich - but I would offer one to family members.

curtis rosche
10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
pizza with applesauce on it. try it its better than you think

Jason Roehl
10-28-2011, 1:03 PM
I was raised eating BLTs with peanut butter instead of mayo. Don't knock it until you try it.

I also like a peanut butter and ham (thick-sliced) sandwich. Peanut butter, banana and ketchup is also good. (The ketchup was added on a dare once...turned out even better!)

Belinda, you need to try a Buffalo Sweat: a shot of 151-proof rum with a couple squirts of Tabasco sauce added. That was without question the roughest shot I have ever done. Many of my friends at the time thought a Three Wiseman was tough (shot of equal parts Jim, Jack and Johnny), but when they bought me one thinking it would rock my world, I downed it, smiled and asked for another.

Jim Koepke
10-28-2011, 1:33 PM
And I thought putting mustard on my boiled or baked potatoes was weird.

I like mustard or BBQ sauce on some styles of potato salad.

Pace medium Picante Sauce on macaroni and cheese is good.

jtk

Michael Weber
10-28-2011, 1:39 PM
Do I detect a trend here?

Mark Patoka
10-28-2011, 1:45 PM
My wife would eat peanut butter, jelly and a slice of cheddar cheese on toast. Pretty darn tasty once I actually tried it.

Joe Bradshaw
10-28-2011, 2:04 PM
I like BBQ potato chips on egg salad sandwichs.

Bryan Morgan
10-28-2011, 2:36 PM
Mcdonalds french fries and soft serve ice cream. Dip the fries into the ice cream.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Joe Angrisani
10-28-2011, 2:49 PM
Toast an english muffin. Add a layer of sliced banana, top with American cheese, and toast again open-faced to melt the cheese. Mmmm-mmm-good!!!

Ben Hatcher
10-28-2011, 3:01 PM
Munchos and cottage cheese.
Cottage cheese on salad
Spiced ketchup: 1/4tsp black pepper mixed into 2 Tbs ketchup.
fried egg on a burger
picante in place of marinara on spaghetti
baked beans on pizza
black beans on almost anything

There's a fantastic, local, ice cream shop here in Columbus called Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream. http://jenisicecreams.com/ She dreams up some fantastic combinations like sweet corn and black raspberries, salty caramel, bing cherry and goat cheese, and chocolate with cayanne. It might be the best ice cream in the universe. If it isn't, I'd like to taste what is.

John Pratt
10-28-2011, 3:30 PM
I've never been that much of a peanut butter on bread guy, but I do enjoy a good peanut butter and sweet onion on wheat toast sandwhich from time to time.

Rich Engelhardt
10-28-2011, 3:49 PM
Do I detect a trend here?
LOL!
Yep -

Goober's and tubers.

:D

Larry Klaaren
10-28-2011, 6:36 PM
Mcdonalds french fries and soft serve ice cream. Dip the fries into the ice cream.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That was popular at Iowa State in the 1970s.

Ted Calver
10-28-2011, 9:37 PM
Fried eggs and Kimchi, or Kimchi and anything. I love the stuff.

Ryan Mooney
10-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Coconut cream pie with parsley - oddly delicious to me, haven't found anyone else who was really a fan though.

The below two I'd definitely consider offering to someone else (and have):
Burger with a good smear of peanut butter
+1 on fries and chocolate icecream.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2011, 2:33 AM
Scrambled egg and mayonnaise sandwich. I grew up on them and thought everyone else did.

Cottage cheese pie. Kinda like a custard pie.

Vanilla milk shake and Penrose hot sausage.

Rich Engelhardt
10-29-2011, 5:17 AM
The below two I'd definitely consider offering to someone else (and have):
Burger with a good smear of peanut butter

A place up North of where I live - Bearden's in Rocky River, Ohio - has been serving a Peanut Burger for at least 45 years that I know of.
I tried one once - it was ok.

I have to say, a lot of these combos sound really good!

I just added:
- Peanut butter and onion with a splash of Tobasco to my list.
It's so good, I may never put jelly on a PB again! :D

John Coloccia
10-29-2011, 8:43 AM
From my childhood: Beefaroni and animal crackers.

Toasted peanut butter sandwich dipped in chicken soup is good too.

I tell you what's really good but no one I know but me does it: take a sandwich from Subway (or from wherever) and fill it up with Sunchips, backed Lays or whatever. Give the sandwich a good smoosh to grind it all up. Yumm!

Bonnie Campbell
10-29-2011, 9:51 AM
A potato chip bologna sandwich hits the spot too And it definitely needs to be smooshed

Shawn Pixley
10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Peanut butter and pickle sandwich on rye. Best fishing sandwich ever!

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2011, 8:23 PM
A fried pineapple ring, with bacon on a hamburger bun.. When I was a kid, we spent 4 hours on horseback going up a mountain. When we got to our camp spot we were pretty darn hungry. The leader cooked these up on a open fire. I think I ate three or four, never had it before, and loved them ever since..

Bill Geyer
10-29-2011, 8:45 PM
Peanut butter on a slice of cheese, rolled up, makes a great protein snack.

Brian Ashton
10-30-2011, 12:48 AM
watermelon and salt. For some reason they work well together.

Stephen Tashiro
10-30-2011, 1:58 AM
I like bacon fried with catsup and onions - and I mean the catsup and onions are added while the bacon fries, not afterward. I rarely make this because it's best when the catsup on the bacon chars a little and charred catsup is almost impossible to clean from pans - it's basically burned sugar. It's good that I rarely make it since it must be a very unhealthy dish.

John Fabre
10-30-2011, 2:32 AM
A peanut butter and mayo sandwich, try it toasted.

Donald Barfield
10-30-2011, 8:01 AM
My favorite sandwitch is pork chop and fried potatoes with heavy mayo. I once ordered a cowboy salad in a restaurant and the menu listed the it as having steak and french fries. I expected the steak to be in it but I thought the fries would be on the side. I was wrong but surprisingly the fries were actually good in the salad.

Belinda Barfield
10-30-2011, 8:10 AM
I like bacon fried with catsup and onions - and I mean the catsup and onions are added while the bacon fries, not afterward. I rarely make this because it's best when the catsup on the bacon chars a little and charred catsup is almost impossible to clean from pans - it's basically burned sugar. It's good that I rarely make it since it must be a very unhealthy dish.

I think catsup and onions count as vegetables, so this should be a health neutral dish.

Tim Morton
10-30-2011, 9:50 AM
A potato chip bologna sandwich hits the spot too And it definitely needs to be smooshed

for sure..and we were just discussing this on friday...smooshed for sure and with mustard.

Also try bologna and strawberry jelly....or crunchy peanut butter and mayo.

Stephen Tashiro
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Don't all normal people eat waternmelon that way?

Michael Weber
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Don't all normal people eat waternmelon that way?
Sure they do, but the people here are not normal:rolleyes:

Kent A Bathurst
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Belinda will vote for this one.........

A sandwich that is a slab of Vidalia onion [in season], minimum 1/2" thick, and slathered with mayo.

RE: Watermelon & salt - absolutely - who DOESN'T do that? And, tomatoes & sugar.

Stephen Tashiro
10-31-2011, 8:56 PM
And, tomatoes & sugar.

That's like catsup without the vinegar.

I think of (fresh) apples and salt as a normal combination.

Some people think it is peculiar to drink coffee and milkshakes together. I think that is a puritanical prejudice against excessive consumption rather than any objection to the taste. I've met people who claimed they could not drink milkshakes without also drinking water and I recall hearing this condition described in a lecture on nutrition, but I don't remember the details.

I like to put salt and pepper in beer. Of course, I find beer is also good without the salt and pepper.

Gary Hodgin
10-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Most unusual is probably molasses and dumplings. Got the idea from my grandmother. Unhappily, I don't get molasses anymore much less dumplings. For some reason neither are on my diet.

Bob Rufener
10-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I get hunger pangs for a sandwich made with Miracle Whip and sliced stuffed green olives.

Ryan Mooney
11-01-2011, 12:20 AM

If you like that find some Li Hing Mui (dried salty plum - get the powdered version), it takes melon, pineapple, apple, well pretty much all fruit to the divine. I discovered it when living in HI and wow! amazing! A very little goes a long way.

Mike Wilkins
11-01-2011, 9:39 AM
While in college, I had, on more than one occasion, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Schlitz Malt Liquor. The foolishnish of youth.

Paul McGaha
11-01-2011, 9:48 AM
We have a winner:

While in college, I had, on more than one occasion, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Schlitz Malt Liquor. The foolishnish of youth.

Kent A Bathurst
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM

You mean, breakfast before differential equations class, right?

Mark Patoka
11-01-2011, 11:29 AM

I had this for lunch every day in 7-8th grade.

Bill Cunningham
11-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Didn't the Three Stooges like Bologna and whipped cream? Never had the guts to try it though!

Belinda Barfield
11-02-2011, 6:43 AM
I'm not proud of this one as it probably has 2000 calories in it, but here goes . . .

I visited my parents Saturday and there is a BBQ place in town that has some outstanding BBQ. One of their best menu items is a stuffed baked potato. I have no idea where they get the potatoes, they are the biggest I've ever seen. I brought home a stuffed potato. So, for Sunday dinner I had half of a stuffed potato which had butter, sour cream, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and cheese . . . which I topped with chili (made with steak strips, not ground beef) and more cheese.:o

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2011, 9:01 AM
So, for Sunday dinner I had half of a stuffed potato which had butter, sour cream, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and cheese . . . which I topped with chili (made with steak strips, not ground beef) and more cheese

Shame on you!!!!!!

Lol!
You live oh so close to my Valhala (Vidalia) & you didn't put onions on the tater too!
;)

We've got a steak house just down the road from us (Texas Roadhouse) that's got a Cowboy cut sirloin - like 16 oz. or something.
I usually get one of those and a loaded baked potato - cheese, butter, bacon and sour cream.
I eat the steak and always take the tater home to eat the next day.
They somehow taste better that way.

Belinda Barfield
11-02-2011, 9:08 AM
You live oh so close to my Valhala (Vidalia) & you didn't put onions on the tater too!
;)

My parents grow Vidalias in their garden. I grew up 30 miles from Vidalia, so on the outskirts of Valhala. I guess I don't think too much about the poor unfortunates as I've always had Vidalias readily at hand. Just go out to the garden, pull one up, wash it, and munch. Have you ever had Vidalia onion casserole? If not, I'll give you the recipe.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2011, 10:19 AM
My parents grow Vidalias in their garden
How would they feel about adopting a 59 1/2 year old son? :D

I've never tried Vidalia casserole. Sounds delicious!
I'm a bit prejudiced though since I thing Vidalias are like beer - proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
;)

I do really love Vidalia's though. Up North here, we have trouble getting the "real deal".
They come in bags marked Vadalia & grown in Ga. - but - most of the time what's in the bag isn't a real Vadalia. It has a "bite" to it & a little heat.
Once every so often though, I'll get some "real deal" ones that are just out of this world sweet and you can eat them like an apple.

Belinda Barfield
11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
How would they feel about adopting a 59 1/2 year old son? :D

I've never tried Vidalia casserole. Sounds delicious!
I'm a bit prejudiced though since I thing Vidalias are like beer - proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
;)

I do really love Vidalia's though. Up North here, we have trouble getting the "real deal".
They come in bags marked Vadalia & grown in Ga. - but - most of the time what's in the bag isn't a real Vadalia. It has a "bite" to it & a little heat.
Once every so often though, I'll get some "real deal" ones that are just out of this world sweet and you can eat them like an apple.

My daddy always wanted a son but it's a long drive from Ohio to GA for Christmas!

Vidalia casserole - basically sliced onions, butter, Parmesan cheese. Amounts aren't very specific. Bake until onions are tender. Some folks add crushed Ritz crackers, some add cream of your flavor choice here soup, some add sour cream.

Seriously, remind me when onion season rolls around and I'll send you some Gen-u-wine Vidalias. If you are up for a road trip you can come and get your own. http://www.vidaliaonionfestival.com/

David Drickhamer
11-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Bacon cheeseburger with chunky peanut butter hits the spot.

Rich Engelhardt
11-03-2011, 7:25 AM
Onions, butter and cheese from the salt shaker can thingie!
Bake until tender!
Got it!
Sounds like my kind of food (peasant style ;) ).

Dan Andrews
11-06-2011, 7:15 PM
One can of tomato soup, one can of albacore chunk tuna in water (drain the water), 2/3 soup can of milk. Break up tuna chunks to bite size.:) Warm and eat. I discovered this when I wanted a tuna sandwich and tomato soup for lunch and was out of bread.

Rick Gibson
11-07-2011, 8:13 PM
Grilled cheese with olives and jalapenos.

Rich Engelhardt
11-08-2011, 8:01 AM
Black or green olives - or either one or both?

I'm not really partial to using either - whatever is in the fridge @ the time is fine by me.

I do think the green ones add a bit more flavor though.

Rick Gibson
11-08-2011, 9:44 AM
Black or green olives - or either one or both?

green I like the flavour better

Todd Leback
11-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Shrimp Pancakes. Serve with hot sauce or chutney.

Todd

Van Huskey
01-13-2012, 4:50 AM
Pulling this back up because it interested me and I didn't see mine: Peanut butter and balogna sandwich, though I did notice the PB and ham version mentioned.

I find it interesting peanut butter ended up in so many of these.

My wife has a ton of them, they all either have bacon (like bacon jam) or foie gras, she is a sucker for pork bellies and goose liver.

John Coloccia
01-13-2012, 7:45 AM
One can of tomato soup, one can of albacore chunk tuna in water (drain the water), 2/3 soup can of milk. Break up tuna chunks to bite size.:) Warm and eat. I discovered this when I wanted a tuna sandwich and tomato soup for lunch and was out of bread.

I'm sorry Dan, but you've been chopped...

Belinda Barfield
01-13-2012, 9:14 AM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1850329My wife has a ton of them, they all either have bacon (like bacon jam) or foie gras, she is a sucker for pork bellies and goose liver.[/QUOTE]

I like your wife. Bacon . . . few things in life are better than bacon. It's a shame society frowns on bacon and Jack Daniels for breakfast. :D

John Coloccia
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I like your wife. Bacon . . . few things in life are better than bacon. It's a shame society frowns on bacon and Jack Daniels for breakfast. :D

Belinda, that has got to be the best pickup line I've ever heard.

Doug W Swanson
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Bacon . . . few things in life are better than bacon. It's a shame society frowns on bacon and Jack Daniels for breakfast. :D

You are so right, Belinda!

I actually like mustard on pizza. It's gotta be yellow mustard and frozen pizza, though. A friend from Wisconsin recommended it to me....

Belinda Barfield
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
You are so right, Belinda!

I actually like mustard on pizza. It's gotta be yellow mustard and frozen pizza, though. A friend from Wisconsin recommended it to me....

There was a pizza place here once upon a time, I was very distressed when they closed, that made a cheeseburger pizza with mustard for the sauce. It had dill pickles slices on top. I've tried to recreate it at home but it just isn't as good.

Belinda Barfield
01-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Belinda, that has got to be the best pickup line I've ever heard.

Which one? "I like your wife" or "bacon and Jack Daniels":D

John Coloccia
01-13-2012, 1:06 PM
Which one? "I like your wife" or "bacon and Jack Daniels":D

ROFL. Either one would work just fine at my local adult beverage establishment.

Mac McQuinn
01-13-2012, 1:13 PM
Dutch apple pie w/ chocolate almond ice cream.
Mac

Mike Henderson
01-13-2012, 2:01 PM
White beans and rice, with mayo.

Doritos on any kind of sandwich - adds some crunch.

Mike

Paul McGaha
01-13-2012, 2:23 PM

I don't think I'll bother with the olives but adding Jalapenos to a grilled cheese sandwich sounds great. I'll ask my wife to give it a try.

PHM

Tim Morton
01-13-2012, 5:30 PM
Bacon cheeseburger with chunky peanut butter hits the spot.

throw a fried egg in and you have a pretty tasty burger.

Kevin Gregoire
01-14-2012, 1:31 PM
bacon pieces on ice cream

fry up some nice crisp bacon and cut into small bits and sprinkle on ice cream
dont worry, its already been invented so dont try.

bacon = its meat candy

Brian Palmer
01-14-2012, 1:42 PM
Dipping my fry's in chocolate shake.
Covering my cheese filled pretzels with Nutella.

Wil Limanen
01-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Hard cinnamon toast in a bowl of warm milk, nice and mushy. Mom used to give us saltine crackers broken up in a bowl and coffee poured over for breakfast.

Steven Green
01-15-2012, 3:56 AM
Peanut butter and Mayonaise on wheat bread. A buddy from Louisianna got me hooked when we were stationed together and would go to midrats if we were both off.

Belinda Barfield
01-15-2012, 7:44 AM
bacon = its meat candy

"Pig Candy recipe

You start with bacon - and don't y'all just know how I purely love a recipe that starts with bacon. The fat is the whole point of the bacon. If you're interested in the red part, get a ham or something. I mean, really.

So anyway, you start with bacon, and the only other ingredient is brown sugar - and do I really need to say the dark brown kind? You just roll the bacon in the dark brown sugar and then you bake it (at 350 F. for about 20 minutes or so, depending on your oven and also how you like your bacon - put it on a rack on a cookie sheet, and you don't even have to turn it over!) - and voy-ola! Pig Candy! "
SOURCE: The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-A__ Cookbook (and Financial Planner)

I do purely love the Sweet Potato Queens.

David Larsen
01-15-2012, 8:10 PM
White beans and rice, with mayo.

Doritos on any kind of sandwich - adds some crunch.

Mike

Taco Doritos on sloppy joes! mmmmmm

Jacob Muldowney
01-15-2012, 8:43 PM
When I was growing up the "Dorito sandwhich" was a favorite. Two pieces of bread, Doritos and ketchup. Nowadays the craziest I get is cottage cheese with Italian dressing, it is amazing lol. If I go to a restaurant with a salad bar I get that and if possible I add mushrooms.

Michael O'Neill
01-16-2012, 12:51 AM
A bowl of chili and a big cinnamon roll.... Delicious! Its a great pairing!!!!

Zach Dillinger
01-16-2012, 7:29 PM
Wendy's french fries dunked into a chocolate Frosty.

Bacon bits in chocolate pudding.

Those are the only "strange" combos I can think of that I enjoy every now and then.

Kevin Gregoire
01-16-2012, 7:50 PM
zach, this was supposed to be strange combinations.
french fries and chocolate malts are natural things, kind of like cookies and milk! ;)

Zach Dillinger
01-16-2012, 9:57 PM
Kevin, what about bacon bits and chocolate pudding? That's pretty weird... at least thats what my family tells me!

Kevin Gregoire
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
i have never tried it but i dont know if i would like it or not? i love bits & ice cream but i think thats because
its cold and hard and pudding would cover all of the bacon i think and mask to much of the taste??

Jerrimy Snook
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Tuna sandwich with ketchup wash it down with a glass of room temp orange juice.
Dad eats peanut butter and jelly with bbq sauce, cheddar cheese and jalapenos.
Father in law eats chocolate ice cream with black olives.

Heard this on the radio last night... Twinkie hot dog... stuff a hot dog into a twinkie and top with squeezy cheese.

Where are the tums?

Jerrimy

Kevin Gregoire
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Dad eats peanut butter and jelly with bbq sauce, cheddar cheese and jalapenos.

okay, i have seen, heard and eaten a lot of odd stuff myself but im officially putting your dad up for the sickest SOBOE award!! :eek:

Jerrimy Snook
01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
He is honored by the nomination! In his defense, when his dad cooked dinner it was "anything/everything in the fridge, thrown in a skillet with eggs".

BTW dad says "don't knock it 'til you try it" and offers a dare... I WON'T Try it!

Pat Barry
01-17-2012, 8:49 PM
If you like peanut butter (an who doesn't) and you like plain potato chips, then you have to put them together. I usually put peanut butter on both pieces of bread, apply liberal qty of chips, smash it all together. It is a delicacy (I think).

Todd Burch
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
oh my goodness. I had sardines in olive oil and peanut butter spread on saltines for dinner. Washed it down with the remainder of the Pennsylvania dutch egg nog, and immediately downed 2 Ho-Hos for desert.

Kevin Gregoire
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
we had a bonanza (smorg style steak house) that had a tray of chicken livers and i would dunk them in cheddar cheese sauce.
i have ate hundreds of those things over the years but unfortunately they have closed down and i miss them BIG time!

Federico Mena Quintero
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Pancakes with refried beans on top.

My wife likes fresh, unaged cheese with mayo, cayenne, and lime. It's what you'd put on top of boiled corn-on-the-cob in Mexico, but when you don't have any corn...

Jerrimy Snook
01-18-2012, 2:07 PM
One of my FAVORITES is platanos fritos. Fried plantains served with refried beans and crema. It's not unusual for Latin America but is unusual fare here. Tried them at an El Salvadoran restaurant and brought it home. I now always have plantains ripening at home.

Pancakes with yogurt on them. Eggs with Espresso salt. Try saltworks.us, you'll never touch Mortons table salt again.

Jerrimy