PDA

View Full Version : space - the final frontier.......if you can get it!

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
This thread is in response to Donny Lawson and a couple others who asked to see the inside of my turning studio [a.k.a. shop :rolleyes:] when I got the remodel done........well it is almost done now......had to be away for a trip to the ocean last week. Still have to get the trim painted white, and the guttering and downspouts installed, then it will be finished.

I am hurting for space as the pictures will show...[my studio :rolleyes: is only 14x20].....I need more organization, and I wish I had a place for everything except on my benches and tool tops, but this is about as close as it gets for now........I still have a couple of areas that need some attention...........so..........shop police..........be merciful! :D

Here is the lathe area with my new [still unused] Jeff Nicol steady, in Grizzly green no less!
The 2nd pic is my tablesaw/ bowl and turning catch-all surface. The 5th pic is my turning cart built out of pure scraps.........the drawers are made from the plywood from the crate that my lathe came in. The 6th pic is of my shop built router table......and then the last two in this post is of my fold down outfeed table......space demanded a fold away..........I got that tip from a woodsmith magazine.

Maybe a couple more pics in another post.

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
A few more pics....

The first is my router table box/ with lift kit and dust collection. The second is my yet-to-be tidied up Jet 18" bandsaw, and the last shows the lighting on my lathe area.........daylight florescent tubes overhead and a cfl daylight bulb in a swing arm lamp.......I still have to install my lighted magnifier, but that is for another day.

Folks, I love turning, but also love flat work.........please don't hold that against me! :D;)

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Looks really nice Roger... but I have to ask... where's the carpet? ;)

Marty Eargle
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Nice looking space...but the headshot of Norm is the best part.

Reed Gray
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I liked seeing the pic of Norm on the wall. I learned a lot from watching his show over the years. I didn't learn much about turning though. Now, where is the pic of Roy Underhill?

Have fun in the new man cave.

robo hippy

Dick Wilson
10-28-2011, 1:29 PM
I totally missed the picture of Norm on the wall. I was inspecting the broom. I do not see any dust or turning shavings on it. SACRALEDGE!!!!!!!!! You are a turner. Who's shop is this????????????? ;)

Tony De Masi
10-28-2011, 1:43 PM
Pretty nice set up Roger. Love to see it in person some time.:D

John Keeton
10-28-2011, 2:12 PM
A feller could almost do flatwork in that shop!! Lots of nice tools, Roger, and everything looks compact and well thought out.

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 3:43 PM
Pretty nice set up Roger. Love to see it in person some time.:D

Looking forward to your and Mike's visit next week! I feel a creeker visit comin' on.........:D

charlie knighton
10-28-2011, 3:51 PM
nice setup Roger, enjoy

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 3:52 PM
A feller could almost do flatwork in that shop!! Lots of nice tools, Roger, and everything looks compact and well thought out.

Hey John.........speaking of flatwork in that space........I have built a set of kitchen cabinets in that space and bathroom cabinets, chimney closet, sink vanity, gun cabinet, and of course many other smaller projects...........funny thing..........I am so embarrassed... :o:o:o .............I just today picked up a bookcase I commissioned another woodworker to build for my wife, because I had all that work to do on the building itself, and my sweet, most patient wife did not want to wait until spring when I could get to it..........:eek: ....

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 3:57 PM
Nice looking space...but the headshot of Norm is the best part.

He sent me an autographed picture..........I wasn't expecting it, but I think it was in response to the Osborne Eb3 miter gauge I purchased from him.

He is the one who started my interest in wood turning..........I saw him turn some table legs and thought......."I can do that!" the rest is history, like they say.

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 8:52 PM
Looks really nice Roger... but I have to ask... where's the carpet? ;)

Steve,

I guess I will have to hold out on such luxury until I get an American Beauty like you did..............mustn't dare smudge the feet on such a fine piece of equipment! :D;)

Rick Markham
10-28-2011, 10:09 PM
That place is HUGE! Nice set up Roger! Yeah, I'm with John. That turning studio looks suspiciously arranged for flatwork as well...

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Roger shop looks pretty well organized. Dick he doesn't need a broom. Heck there is no dirt, dust or chips. :rolleyes:;)

Roger Chandler
10-29-2011, 8:15 AM
That place is HUGE! Nice set up Roger! Yeah, I'm with John. That turning studio looks suspiciously arranged for flatwork as well...

Huge Rick? Geez.........I need way more room..............I saw a couple pics you posted of your setup, but as I recall you did not give any dimensions on your shop space............now if I had a 36x48 or a 40x60..........then I could really do what I want!;)

Allan Ferguson
10-29-2011, 9:23 AM
Does not look like there is any space, left for wood chips and such.

Thom Sturgill
10-29-2011, 9:42 AM
I think the best part of the shop is the lathe ballast! Norm's pic is not bad either.

Roger Chandler
10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Does not look like there is any space, left for wood chips and such.

Unfortunately, Allan,.............not near enough, although I have enough space to make a considerable mess with a project, but I always clean up after every project................not enough turning time in the last 2 months...........Zero time at the lathe! :(:(:(

Rick Markham
10-29-2011, 4:37 PM
Huge Rick? Geez.........I need way more room..............I saw a couple pics you posted of your setup, but as I recall you did not give any dimensions on your shop space............now if I had a 36x48 or a 40x60..........then I could really do what I want!;)

If my memory serves me, I've got somewhere around 180 square feet LOL So I will say it again, that place is HUGE! lol