PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly knockoff of Viicmarc VM100

Dwight McNutt
10-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Anyone have this chuck(Grizzly) and can it be drilled for a set screw to enable it to be used for sanding in reverse?

Thanks Dwight

Gary Max
10-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Sure-------have tap will travel------:)

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 7:23 AM
Dwight,

Bernie Weishapl has several of these chucks.............seems to like them. Maybe he will chime in and let you know.....I am sure I remember him mentioning reverse sanding..........I just do not remember if he was using one of these or another brand of chuck when he did sanding in reverse.

ken gibbs
10-28-2011, 7:28 AM
I just purchased this Grizzly chuck wit extra jaws. This is the first chuck I have ever owned and used and I am delighted with it. Can you add information about getting this chuck drilled and threaded so I can reverse sand in it? It would be nice to add this capability. Thanks.

Doug Wolf
10-28-2011, 7:44 AM
I have chucks WITH a screw but reverse sand without using them. They are not required, just be careful and don't over extend your capabilities.

Bill Bulloch
10-28-2011, 8:27 AM
I agree with Doug ... the screw is not really necessary for sanding. The chuck will not screw off on its own it only happens when you put to much pressure on the pieces you are sanding. If you sand at low speeds and let the sandpaper do the work it shouldn't unscrew. Even if it starts to unscrew, at low speeds, you can stop it. I have never had a problem and I probably sand faster and harder than I should. Now if you are planning on turning in reverse, then that is a different matter.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I have 4 of the Grizzly chucks and love them. I bought different VM 100 jaws for each because I am lazy and don't like changing jaws. The first one is 3 or so years old and have not had problems with any of them. I use them when I do revese sanding and have never had one come off. Just make sure when you screw it on to seat it well. I also have a oneway and Vic chuck that I also have never used a screw when reverse sanding. Like Bill said if you are going to reverse turn then yes I would have a set screw.

Dwight McNutt
10-28-2011, 2:56 PM
Thanks everyone, thats the answer I was looking for.

Dwight

Roy Turbett
10-30-2011, 1:40 AM
I bought one for my PM 90 and the threads on the 1 1/2 X 8 insert were too short for the chuck to seat properly. I haven't heard of anyone other lathes having this problem.