PDA

View Full Version : Router Rail & Stile Bits - Matched Set vs. Reversable

John Hulett
03-02-2005, 1:41 PM
I've been pondering Rail & Stile bits for my router lately, and (obviously) noticed that they are available both in matched sets and a single reversable set. Just wondering which is preferable. It would seem that setup on a matched set would be quicker, with quicker setups typically being more desireable. So a couple of questions:

Which do you use, matched set or reversable?

Brands you like?

Brands to avoid?

James Boster
03-02-2005, 2:00 PM
You didn't specify router or shaper. I use Freeborn matched set on my shaper. No reversing just change from stick to cope and go.

Don Carkhuff
03-02-2005, 2:30 PM
Hi John,
I considered buying a set until I read about the short tenon and large end grain in contact. I decided to achieve the same profiles only with a splined miter joint at the corners. It is actually stronger than the joint achieved with matched set cutters. The profiles on the indide and outside of the frame are the same as offer by the matched set except 45 degree miters are visible instead of 90 degrees.
Something for you to consider. You may decide to save the cost and invest in something else.

Mike Vermeil
03-02-2005, 2:46 PM
Hi John,
I considered buying a set until I read about the short tenon and large end grain in contact. I decided to achieve the same profiles only with a splined miter joint at the corners. It is actually stronger than the joint achieved with matched set cutters.

Virtually all cabinetry installed in new houses in this country over at least the past decade has doors made with matched rail/stile sets. All standard cabinet doors available through normal aftermarket sources are also made in this same fashion. Although the glue surface area is less than with a longer haunched tennon or splinned miter joint, I personally have never, ever seen a failed door joint on any of the houses I've worked on, nor has any cabinet door I've ever made failed. It's been my experience that something else will always fail first.

Just bought the CMT 3-piece kitchen set. Pretty happy with it so far. :)

John Weber
03-02-2005, 2:58 PM
John,

A match set is just easier then fooling with a single cutter. Usually they are only a little more. I would rather have a matched set from a quality discount bit company (Woodline, etc...), then a single bit from a top end company (Whiteside, etc...). Of course a set from a top end company would be best, but I would trade off brand for a set if money was tight.

John

Carl Eyman
03-02-2005, 6:17 PM
I've used both. The most recent set I bought was the separates and I bought a set-up block with it. Talk about time saving! Also the joints come out better. You can do a good job with either one, but much more quickly with the separates.

PS: I too have never seen a door fail with the stub tenons.

Jerry Olexa
03-02-2005, 6:27 PM
Matched is much more convenient, Making the changes can be a pain. I started w MLCS cabinet set. Whiteside and Frued make good bits..

Pete Rosenbohm
03-02-2005, 6:47 PM
Matched sets hands down less setup time, and get a good set Freud or Amana or one of the better sets.:)

Lou Morrissette
03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Matched sets here. Bought a set of Katanias from MLCS and they work great.

Lou

Stephen Dixon
03-03-2005, 2:50 AM
I bought a matched set of Old Hickory's from TWC at the Woodworking Show.

Steve

Bill Arnold
03-03-2005, 2:59 AM
I've got two matched sets (cove and ogee) from MLCS. Haven't had any problem with them. Made my own setup blocks. I also got an undercutter bit to make a 1/8" deep profile on the back side of a 3/4" panel; this allows the raised panel to be flush with the frame.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 6:41 AM
I'd go with the matched set. Especially if you have two routers for the table. Makes adjustments to both alot easier. the setup blocks are also nice to have. You can make your own if they're not offered.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 9:16 AM
I use and prefer matched sets to avoid another step in setup between alternative-sexed profiles...the profiles I currently own are from Eagle America and Freud. The EA profile is a 15º Shaker bevel that is pretty much the one I use for most of the work I do that involves something other than a straight T&G format.

Kent Cori
03-06-2005, 7:35 PM
IMHO a matched set is the only way to go. I have a Freud 2+2 and am extremely pleased with it.

Ray Dockrey
03-07-2005, 9:26 AM
I have the Freud matched set. I have been very happy with them.

Gene Collison
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I have tried both and strongly prefer the matched set. The set I am currently using is Whiteside, they work well.

Gene