PDA

View Full Version : Tree ID help

Scott Hackler
10-27-2011, 7:19 PM
My Grandma has this tree in her yard and its got a monster split at the base, where each trunk comes together. So... its going to have to come out. No one seems to know exactly what kind of tree it is.

I can rule out all nut bearing trees, maple, oak, sycamore, box elder, Osage orange

It is about 50-60 years old. Looks a bit like walnut, but with no nuts. Grandma said that in the spring there are seed like things (she described propeller...Maple like) that fall off, but I can't confirm this and it might be the confusion of an 87 year old lady.

Any guesses?? What ever it is... Its All mine (and friends)!

charlie knighton
10-27-2011, 7:23 PM
Scott, ya got any pictures of leaves?????

Russell Neyman
10-27-2011, 7:24 PM
Hmmm. Looks like broccoli to me.

Jamie Donaldson
10-27-2011, 7:29 PM
Looks like ash from here!

Ed Morgano
10-27-2011, 7:30 PM
Scott,
The leaves look like Hickory to me. Hickory is in the walnut family. Should have 9 leaves on each stem if it is.

Marty Eargle
10-27-2011, 7:42 PM
I'd agree with Jaime on the Ash guess. Hard to tell without seeing a close up of the leaves on the tree or the fruit, but that bark looks like Ash to me.

Jon McElwain
10-27-2011, 7:46 PM
+1 for white ash. Ash does produce samara's (those propeller seed pod thingies), although they are not quite as big as a Maple samara. Ash is nice to turn, but it warps and cracks very easily. Nice gloat by the way!!

Scott Hackler
10-27-2011, 7:48 PM
That last picture is of the leaves that fell to the ground. I will go tomorrow and try to get a picture of the leaves still on the tree. I don't think its a nut bearing tree, because I have never seen a nut. There is another one of these trees 40' from this one and it looks just like it. I might believe ash, but the way the limbs grow out of the trunk looks more like a walnut tree than an ash.

When I drop this monster, we'll get a good look at the wood.

Fred Belknap
10-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Maybe box elder (alder) they have the propeller type seeds and the leaves look like ash. I'm guessing your granma knows what she is talking about. Either one makes good turning.
One of the easiest way to ID ash is the branches http://treedoctor.anr.msu.edu//ash/ashtree_id.html

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Scott I am thinking Ash. They are pretty abundant in Kansas. Those leaves looks like the leaves that the logs I got this week off a friends tree. Bark looks the same to. Ash does have the propeller type seeds. Green leaves would help.

Kathy Marshall
10-28-2011, 1:58 AM
Looks like ash to me too. Great to turn green!

Bill Bolen
10-28-2011, 11:46 AM
White Ash. I've got a bunch on our property and they do indeed have those "maple like helicopter" thingies on them. The black and green Ash don't seem to have those seed pods.

Scott Hackler
10-28-2011, 1:39 PM
How about these pics. No "green" leaves left but these were still attached. Also a photo of the main limb crotch on the other (same variety) or tree.

Nathan Hawkes
10-29-2011, 8:27 AM
Yup; its an ash. Not sure exactly what variety, but ash none the less. A great turning wood!

Tony Wheeler
10-30-2011, 3:15 AM
looks like ash to me when are you droping it

William Bachtel
10-30-2011, 7:13 AM
Ash, can tell by the leaves and the bark, also Ash grows with a split truck, usually not a single straight truck. The seeds also confirm it. Also turns great. It may have some curl near the truck, along the ground.

Curt Fuller
10-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Looks like ash from here!
I'd say it's ash too. The little 'propeller' things you mentioned, the leaves, and the bark all make me think ash.

kenneth walker
10-30-2011, 6:22 PM
Green ash is what I think from the state that you live in.

Scott Hackler
10-30-2011, 6:29 PM
Ash seems to be the winning vote, so Ash it will be called. I am likely going to drop this big dude next week into next weekend. Dad is going to take the firewood sized stuff and I get all the large stuff I will care to prep.

Cathy Schaewe
10-31-2011, 9:42 PM
Yup, ash. I gots a million of them. Just keep in mind it will split if you just look at it =

Greg Just
10-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I'd vote for ash. You can start a bowl making factory with that tree!

Scott Hackler
10-31-2011, 11:04 PM
It's funny you say that Greg. I was just thinking about the tree, today, and thought that I should save a bunch of the large base for various whatevers and make a TON of bowls out of every piece over 8" diameter. I could be roughing out bowls for weeks!

Jon Nuckles
11-01-2011, 1:56 PM
We must have different ash in the midwest than in NY, as it has dried pretty well for me here. The only crack I got was when I knocked a finished piece off my bench while applying the WOP! My ash also has held on to its bark like grim death despite being cut in the spring, so it makes a good natural edge candidate. We have ash borer here, so I keep the ash local, but looks like you are pest free in Kansas. Have fun with it.

Scott Lux
11-01-2011, 3:56 PM
Ash seems to be the consensus.

FWIW, there is a free app for the iPad and iPhone that will ID a tree based on a picture of the leaf. It's called LeafSnap. Works well, although heavily biased to New York/New England trees.

Scott Hackler
11-01-2011, 4:14 PM
Scott, I only wish I could download that app....BUT I am anti-Apple and have an Android phone. Unfortunately it isn't available for Droid. :(