PDA

View Full Version : The saga continues, and it's getting weirder!

Brian Brown
10-27-2011, 6:36 PM
So in the continuing saga of my dead lathe, a couple of days after I ordered a new 46-460 Delta. I got a call from Tool Nut letting me know that it was on backorder until early December. Bad words, bad words. Those were from my wife. She is waiting for all the Christmas gifts to get finished. This is the first year I got started early (August), and was making good headway. About a third of the way done with gifts, the lathe made a terrible noise while I was CAing a shaving brush, and that was the end. 2 months of searching for parts and a motor, and nothing. I found a matching a lathe on CL about 175 miles away. I made arrangements for a price and to meet the guy 1/2 way. I called just before leaving, and he said his wife axed the deal. I ordered a new motor from PSI and when it arrived yesterday, it was missing 2 parts. I tried to call them, and just left a message. :mad: Strangely, I found another matching lathe about 5 miles away on CL. He wanted way too much, but we are talking. The wife still having fits about Christmas being ready in time. After a dozen e-mails back and forth I made arrangements to go see it tomorrow morning. Just after I sent the last e-mail to him, as I was packing to go to class, Fed-X pulled up to drop off a package. I am not expecting anything, so apparantly the wife has ordered more stuff for me to make before Christmas. :eek: At least it is really small. I can't even see it in his hands as he walks into the office. He said He just wanted to make sure somebody was here before he tried to lift this one, as it weighed about 100lbs. What the.... Oh wait , the only thing I have ever ordered that weighs 100lbs IS A LATHE!!! There it was, the new Delta, 7 weeks early! From his truck right into mine, and 5 minutes later it was in my garage.

It's still in the box because I had to go to class, but I know what I am going to do tonight. My wife being the jokester she is will probably have plans like going to dinner, cleaning the house, going for a walk, mowing the lawn in the dark etc., but we all know what is really going to happen. I'm sure that 3:00am is a good time to assemble a lathe. I always said that when I get a new lathe, I would keep the old one, and use it for buffing, CAing, and a backup. Oh, and yeah SWMBO will proably let me use it to turn occasionaly, because she will be keeping the new one busy all the time. :( So I will keep my appointment tomorrow, and we will probably be a 3 lathe family tomorrow. This vortex thing is getting really out of hand. Where am I going to put all this stuff. :confused: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2011, 6:47 PM
Sounds like it's time for a 2nd job and a stand alone "Turning Studio".

Congrats Brian!

Tony De Masi
10-27-2011, 6:56 PM
Great ending to the story Brian. But, YOU of all people provide no pictures?????????????????????????

Dick Wilson
10-27-2011, 7:42 PM
Brian, I would highly recommend building a new shop before you uncrate the new lathe. Strike while SWMBO is awaiting the presents to be done.

John Keeton
10-27-2011, 8:08 PM
Neat story, Brian, but we all know now that Tamara calls the shots in your house!!!;):D And, that ain't a bad thing - she is doing pretty good so far!

Wally Dickerman
10-27-2011, 8:29 PM
Great story Brian....All's well that ends well. All those Xmas presents and a brand new lathe to turn them on? Sounds like a winner to me.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Great story Brian. At least it ended well.

Brian Brown
10-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Pics have to wait until I get it out of the box.

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Congrats! Talk about timing!! Looking forward to the photos!