PDA

View Full Version : Design Advice?

Jack Mincey
10-27-2011, 6:13 PM
Since I made the tea lights I've been interested in using the technique for embellishing a HF. This form was turned from a Green sourwood burl which warped more than any other rough out I've ever experienced. The little rim that stuck up looked like it was made of clay and had been stepped on so I turned it off which left a larger opening than I wanted. This is when I got to thinking of using a square collar and a square turned on the finial. Then I thought it might look good mounted on a tea light type base. Just a couple coats of lacquer on the form and finial none on the base. My question is what do you think? What may I try to make it look better? Nothing is glued in so I can change it several times and just see what I like best. I plan on finishing the peaces separate and than gluing them together so that I can buff the finish.
Thanks,
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_3939.jpg
This next picture is out of focus but shows the grain in the form better.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_3936.jpg

Nate Davey
10-27-2011, 6:18 PM
I like this quite a bit. Looks almost Japanese or Asian in influence. Beautiful out of the box work

John Keeton
10-27-2011, 8:02 PM
Nice work, Jack!! Great style, and the sourwood really looks nice. I have a couple of pieces - but, no burl. What wood is the base and finial?

I wonder if the square form in the finial base and finial might look different/better if lined up vs. at 45* to each other?? That may take away from it, but since it isn't glued, you might want to shoot a pic of that and get some input.

Overall - very unique and well done! Exceptional, actually, IMO.

David DeCristoforo
10-27-2011, 8:21 PM
It's very unusual. I like everything about it except the base. Somehow that just does not work for me. If I block it out with my finger, it all comes together. i think you are on to something with this

Jack Mincey
10-27-2011, 8:23 PM
Thanks everyone, John the wood is walnut for the finial and base. I just wasn't sure about this concept so I wanted to bounce it of everyone here. I will post more pictures before I glue it up. I might try a few more bases just to see what they look like.
Thanks again,
Jack

David E Keller
10-27-2011, 8:43 PM
I thinks you're on to something cool with this idea. I love the square element in the finial, and I really like the one in the lid. The base element seems a bit off to me... Part of that is the flattened corners I think. Maybe a bit more height on the base element might enhance it as well. I'm just thinking out loud here, so there's no intent to be critical. I love where you're going with this!

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 9:54 PM
I think you are on to something Jack. I do like that piece a lot.

Baxter Smith
10-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Looks great Jack though the base doesn't quite seem to fit though I am not sure why. Finish would help but it seems to me to be more than that. It (the base) somehow seems a bit clunky where the base of the finial gives me the impression of lightness. Perhaps more pointed corners similar to the base of the finial would make it appear more dainty/lighter. Changing the curve, its length, and size of the base are other random thoughts. I am looking forward to what you come up with in your other options.

Roger Chandler
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Geez............I like the base.........I think it adds another dimension to a fine turning........the base could take many forms and maybe look better, but I like the concept, you know;........... I like footed bowls and vases as well, so it might be my proclivity on form that is showing here.......many possible variations with this concept............good stuff, Jack.

Todd Bin
10-28-2011, 8:53 AM
Really nice piece. Real eye grabber. Would you be kind enough to give the dimentions? I agree with DD. If there is one area you could experiemnt with it would be the base. I am not saying "no base", rather just trying different base options. Also maybe it is just the picture but the color of the base looks off. I would exptect it to be dark like the finial.

Really nice work.

~Todd

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Jack - just my opinion, but I would like to see the finial elements aligned and also have the foot match the square elements. Just think that may help tie the whole thing together.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Dave Ogren
10-28-2011, 2:02 PM
Jack,

I think it is great! All of your work that I have seen just seems to ring the bell. Thanks for showing it.

Dave

Jon Nuckles
10-28-2011, 2:20 PM
Very creative and successful effort. The form and finial are great, and they do have an asian (Japanese?) feel to them, IMHO. I agree with the others who have said the base might be improved, but I don't know exactly how. Maybe there is an asian style base that might complement the top. Really well done!

Jack Mincey
10-28-2011, 4:13 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I will be turning some more bases to see how they look next week if time allows. The base it is on is a small walnut Tripod that I turned in a few minutes just to see what it would look like on one. No finish on it or any thing. Steve I cut two square blocks of walnut to turn the next base from. I agree with you in that it would be better to keep it square to match the finial and collar. I am thinking of turning it similar to the collar except have the corner flare out like little feet.
Thanks Again,
Jack