PDA

View Full Version : mobile base recommendations for laguna lt14 suv

Steven Lee, NC
10-27-2011, 3:21 PM
I am considering getting the laguna lt14 suv from woodcraft. I really liked how the mobile base worked and felt for the powermatic that was right next to it. The mobility package seems ok for the laguna but for 125, I'd like to see what my other options are.

Any of them similar to the powermatic? it didn't seem tippy or hard to move. They had the rikon on something similar with a single back wheel and two front wheels but it had alot of slop and seemed kinda unstable.

alex grams
10-27-2011, 3:37 PM
Hmm, I had to look up what the laguna lt14 suv was. hah!

I have several HTC bases and have been more than happy with them. I have the HTC 2000 under my 17" Grizzly Bandsaw, and the HTC 3000 under my 700lb G0634Z 12" Combination Jointer/Planer from grizzly.

The HTC 3000 is the best base for the money I have found. The lockdowns on the wheels are easy and strong, and the base moves extremely well with such a heavy load on it. I like the HTC2000 also, but its lifting mechanism of the casters on cams causes the unit to tilt some as you lift one wheel then the other, which on a shorter tool wouldn't be a problem, but can be a concern on a taller, top heavy bandsaw. In hindsight I would have gotten the htc3000 for the bandsaw if i had to do it all over again.

You can find the HTC-3000 on sale for $70 from Tools-plus.com (http://www.tools-plus.com/htc-htc3000.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=H-PHTC3000)

Woodcraft had them on sale last year for I think $60. Ask your woodcraft if you buy the saw if they will sell you the base for 60$ (or at least match an online price). If your woodcraft is anything like mine, I am sure they would make that deal for you.

Ryan Mooney
10-27-2011, 8:20 PM
I temporarily had a similar sized saw on an HTC2000 base and wasn't very happy because of the "thump" when dropping it down (the base wasn't intended for the saw, but I needed a temporary solution). The 3000 would have worked a lot better but instead I spent more building my own :rolleyes:.

I ended up cutting 4 pieces of square metal stock and putting some CarryMaster casters along side it. I stole the idea from someone over on a forum with L and J in the name.

Basically:

@ @
+=====+
| Saw |
+=====+
@ @

The === goes under the saw
the | is a piece that sits on TOP of the ====
and the @ are the post casters sitting under the | piece.

This works really well for me. The slightly wider base makes it nicely stable. The post connected CarryMasters lock down quite well as the foot drops straight down from the post (I usually only lock the two on the infeed side and thats plenty).

Some folks have had luck with some saws putting the casters right into the saw, I liked this design because you keep the height of the saw down.

I also like the N way movement more than the HTC bases which only rotate at one end.

David Peterson
10-28-2011, 2:56 PM
The LT14 SUV is a terrific bandsaw. Have you talked to Laguna Tools directly? When I bought mine from them a few years ago I told them I would get it only if the 'mobility kit' was included, without extra charge. I'm not a hard bargainer but I did remind them that it's only a couple of wheels and a J-bar. Having it makes a world of difference and it doesn't increase the footprint of the machine at all. I also got free shipping at the time but that will depend on the time of year and their supply of saws, I suppose.

Andy Margeson
11-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I just got the suv and love it. One consideration though is that the table is quite low; many people will want to raise it up. I had a Jet mobile base so I built a 5" platform on it and mounted the saw on that. 18" x 26" is about right. It is very stable and I am happy with it but it means I can't use the Laguna mobility kit.

Joey Chavez
11-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I too have the LT 14 SUV. I've had it for a couple months now, great saw!! I have the mobility kit for it, best mobility kit for any tool I have. I agree, maybe try going directly to Laguna, I was able to get the mobility kit included, possible to get free shipping too. Even better, you may not pay the tax as well. I worked with Jerry Goodman, he's a good guy. I had read a lot of negative comments about Laguna's customer service reputation but they weren't bad. After all my research this was the band saw I had to have.

Greg Portland
11-03-2011, 1:36 PM
The mobility kit is 2 wheels that attach to pre-drilled holes in the base + a come-along & bracket. I guess you could buy some wheels, axles, and have some fashion a bracket with angle iron but I'm not sure you'd come out too far ahead on cost. The base is very stable versus having the tool sit on a platform like the HTC bases. Don't get me wrong, HTC makes a nice product but that style of base is optimal for wider / less top heavy tools. With drill presses or bandsaws it's best to push/pull from a spot low on the tool... a come-along style base is optimal in these situations.

Rod Sheridan
11-03-2011, 2:36 PM
Hi Steven, the type of mobility kit that Laguna sells converts the machine to a semi live skid design.

Both my Hammer machines have this type of base as well as my bandsaw. All of mine are homemade.

This type of base is very stable.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
11-03-2011, 6:24 PM
The powermatic you were comparing it to has more of a square base. I have the powermatic 14" on a htc mobile base and its stable. The laguna is more of a rectangle base, I'm sure an htc style base would work but may not be as stable. I like the mobility kit that the Italian style bandsaws come with for stability, I'd stick with the Laguna base if I were you, maybe not quite as easy to maneuver....but definately more stable on that narrow of a base.

Jack Parks
11-03-2011, 9:58 PM
Steven,

I own a LT14SUV that I purchased from Woodcraft and I also got the mobility kit. You could save a few bucks using something like one of the heavy duty ShopFox mobile bases but the Laguna mobility kit is the best solution. This is a great saw and I'm thankful that my local Woodcraft started stocking the machine so I had the opportuntiy to see it before I bought it. You could order one direct from Laguna but I choose to support my local retailers that are there when I need them.

Jack

Steven Lee, NC
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
thanks for all the info, Woodcraft musta seen my question, this months flyer shows the mobility kit included with the bandsaw. For 0, it's definitely gonna be hard to beat and I was off, its a 175 mobility option, not 125 :)