PDA

View Full Version : Need source for laserable foam inserts...local if possible

Tim Neal
10-27-2011, 3:11 PM
Anyone know a source for laserable foam inserts. I have a potential job to supply some wooden gift boxes to hold small, but expensive medical devices. However, I need to be able to supply form fitting inserts to hold the device securely. I was hoping someone know of a material that works well for this application. Thanks.

Bill Mason
10-27-2011, 5:02 PM
thefoamfactory.com Free shipping.

Chuck Stone
10-27-2011, 5:20 PM
you can try toolfoam.com and see what they have, but they don't concentrate
on what is laserable. I tried several, but the ones that didn't flare up weren't
what I was looking for.

Tim Neal
10-27-2011, 5:22 PM
Thanks. Looks like they have a lot of different foam. I'm guessing that not all of it cuts cleanly with a laser. I was hoping someone with experience cutting foam would chime in with a recommended type that cuts well with lasers.

Tony Lenkic
10-27-2011, 6:06 PM
Google this product:
http://www$generalplastics$com/solutions/product-lines/rigid-foams/fr-7100

Change $ to .

BTW, where is local?

Michael Hunter
10-27-2011, 7:07 PM
Polyurethane foam cuts well with the laser - I cut 30mm thick easily and cleanly with my 60W.
Surprisingly, it engraves quite well too.
I make case inserts for very expensive scientific instruments, so quality is quite important.

The stuff I use is made by Plastazote (spelling???) and is grade LD29 closed-cell.

Cutting foam is SMELLY, so you should consider your exhaust and your neighbours before taking it on.
You need good air-assist, or the sides of the cuts will melt and sag.

PS
It is a LOT cheaper to buy the foam by the sheet, than to buy ready shaped inserts. Hack it into laser-sized pieces with a very sharp carving knife

Tim Neal
10-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Polyurethane foam cuts well with the laser - I cut 30mm thick easily and cleanly with my 60W.
Surprisingly, it engraves quite well too.
I make case inserts for very expensive scientific instruments, so quality is quite important.

The stuff I use is made by Plastazote (spelling???) and is grade LD29 closed-cell.

Cutting foam is SMELLY, so you should consider your exhaust and your neighbours before taking it on.
You need good air-assist, or the sides of the cuts will melt and sag.

PS
It is a LOT cheaper to buy the foam by the sheet, than to buy ready shaped inserts. Hack it into laser-sized pieces with a very sharp carving knife

I found Plastazote LD29, but it's polyethylene, not polyurethane. Could you plese confirm what product you're using. Thanks.

Michael Hunter
10-29-2011, 7:33 AM
Our supplier sells the foam as "polyurethane" and the disgusting smell when I cut it seems to confirm this (it does not have the sweet waxy smell of vapourised polyethylene).
It is definitely LD29 (written on the side of each sheet), but I could be wrong about the Plastazote bit as I have never seen that in writing.