PDA

View Full Version : New to turning - Grinding jig Recs?

alex grams
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I am new to the vortex, and looking at setups for sharpening my turning tools. I currently have the woodcraft slow (1725RPM) speed grinder.

What is the best rec for a new turner for sharpening? I have seen the self-made jigs that are height/angle adjustbale you mount to the bench in front of the grinder, which looks like a simple and cost effective solution.

Then there are the wolverine/one-way jigs and so on.

Your preference/rec, or any other good methods recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Prashun Patel
10-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Alex-
I say this having struggled with spending $$ on jigs and gouges the past year; last year I was where you are now:

If I could do it all again, from day 1, I'd get the following in this order:

1) Wolverine + Varigrind.
2) A CBN wheel.
3) high quality gouges/scrapers

The Varigrind is just so easy to use I can't imagine anything being significantly better for the price.

I highly recommend the CBN. While it is expensive, it is well balanced, cool running, and durable. It really improved the quality of my tool edge, and the finish quality of my cuts (less sanding). It also does not wear away as does a matrix type wheel. This means repeatable results and no reconfiguring of yr v-arm.

I got by for a year on budget gouges. Once I started using a good one, though (there are many) it was a revelation.

Scott Hackler
10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Alex,

If you can swing the expense, the Wolverine Jig is a nice tool. I use it and once you set it up, it makes repeatable grinds pretty easy. Just be aware that you would need the basic system and the bowl gouge jig for it. Sometimes Woodcraft puts these on sale, if you can wait.

alex grams
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
hmm, some good ideas for christmas gifts from the wife.

What grit CBN wheels do you guys use? And what online retailer carries them? I can't seem to easily find an 8" CBN wheel (or maybe I am searching the wrong phrase for the product?

Scott Hackler
10-27-2011, 11:00 AM
D-Way tools carries the CBN wheels. I believe they are about $180 and you will want the higher grit wheel (if you buying) they remove steel very rapidly.

alex grams
10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
youch. When you said expensive, I was thinking $100ish. Hmm, Santa may need to help me out on that one.

80 grit seems pretty aggressive. Maybe it is the carving/chisel/plane sharpening side of me, but 80 grit seems like a course finish vs a 180 grit for sharpening. Is turning tool sharpening that much more material removal intensive vs planes/chisels? Is there not that much more of an advantage of a turning tool with a 180grit grind vs a 80?

Thanks again for the advice. November is birthday month, so I should be getting a 10% woodcraft coupon soon, may be a good excuse to get the wolverine + varigrind II.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 11:19 AM
+1 on the wolverine jig and CBN wheels.

Prashun Patel
10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Search the forums here for CBN and y'll get a lot of info.

I have the D-way.

In my experience, the 180 is plenty coarse enough. It grinds aggressively like a wheel grit 2x as coarse. It is my perception that it leaves a smoother finish though on cuts than the other wheel I was using - but that cld be due to a better grind from better balance - not the grit. either way, works for me ;)

Beware that you'll need to get their bushing too. This plus shipping means you'll need a dibble past $200 to get it. Don't remind me of that! I just like it and find it worth the expense.

I've successfully sharpened tools with 60, 80 and 180 grits. Any are fine enough for most turning. You will be surprised though how quickly the grinders can remove steel, so it seems that a the highest grit that gets the job done quickest is the best one (for me) to use.

I've read some reports that honing lathe tools is pointless because the honed edge is quickly destroyed by the aggressive nature of spinning cutting. I've also read reports that honing lathe tools allows for quicker and less aggressive touch ups of the edge which can result in better cut quality, longer edge life, and longer tool life. You'll have to make yr own conclusion on that (and then report back to me...;))

Jamie Donaldson
10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Alex- as a new turner I recommend that you defer on the CBN wheel and begin to build your tool skills and inventory. The AO wheels on the Woodcraft grinder with the Wolverine jig set-up will do just fine as you learn to sharpen, and honing most any turning tool other than a skew is just another hobby, not really necessary for turning. Start and learn turning with the basics unless you have time and money to burn.

Paul Heely
10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I would stick with the wheels that come on the Woodcraft grinder, there are plenty of other things to send money on when starting out turning. I have a Wolverine jig setup and like it. The only thing I regret buying is the skew jig. It won't work on my big Lacer skew and I have learned to sharpen my skews on the platform.

On honing, my skews are the only thing I hone on a regular basis. I have honed gouges, but only when I was turning at a craft show and did not have a grinder with me.

Reed Gray
10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
The wheels that come with the grinder are okay, they are not good. The 80 grit D Way wheel really removes a lot of steel in a hurry, more than the 30 grit wheels that came with my Baldor grinder. Advantages of the D Way wheels: they are already spin balanced, they are round and do not need to be trued up, they do not have to be cleaned, they will never change size or shape, there is no risk that they will ever break. This means you can put them on your grinder and start sharpening. You do not have to do a tune up first, or ever for that matter.

I free hand sharpen with a platform. Not as difficult as you would think.

robo hippy

Roy Turbett
10-30-2011, 1:44 AM
+1 on the Wolverine jig and stock grinder wheels. If you're just starting out you'll find other things you'll think you need before you replace something you already have.