PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley - Gotta love 'em!

Phil Harding
10-27-2011, 9:50 AM
UPS dropped off a package from Lee Valley yesterday. This was a bit of a surprise since I didn't have anything on order from them (this week!). Inside was the following letter:

"RE: 05P39.50 Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smooth Plane

Dear Customer,

Our records indicate that you have recently purchased this smooth plane.

As a result of an engineering change, a chamfer was inadvertently applied on the trailing edge of the toe.

Although this design should not affect the performance of the plane for most users, we corrected the error to meet our own exacting standards. Please find enclosed a replacement plane body with the properly engineered toe piece, as well as a postage-paid return label so that you can return the imperfect plane to us at your earliest convenience. ...."

Honestly, I've compared the replacement plane body to my original and I had to look long and hard to see the difference. Most companies would have let this go and be quite content that they have produced a quality product. I guess I don't need to say any more about why I spend my money with Lee Valley.

-- Phil

Zach England
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I once bought a "cosmetic second" plane and still cannot figure out what makes it a second.

Tim Offutt
10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Got the same package and letter yesterday. I agree 100%. What a great company.
Tim

Jim Koepke
10-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Stop, it is a plot. Those recalled planes will likely be destroyed making any remaining "defective" planes highly sought collector items.

Yea, Right!

Great companies get great by the products/services they provide and the way they treat their customers.

jtk

Cliff Polubinsky
10-27-2011, 1:06 PM
Those people are crazy.

Just like Phil it took me a while to find what the heck they were talking about. And in my humble opinion I can't see why it would have any effect on the function of the plane. You can barely, and I do mean barely, see a difference. On top of that they could have just sent the part for the mouth. Unscrew the tote, replace the mouth plate and screw it back together. But to send an entire plane...

Lee Valley is definitely a class act.

Cliff

Jim Koepke
10-27-2011, 3:15 PM
On top of that they could have just sent the part for the mouth. Unscrew the tote, replace the mouth plate and screw it back together. But to send an entire plane...

It may be that the pieces are individually fit at final assembly. Most of my adjustable mouth planes have had a little bit of work on the mating parts to make them move smoother.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that LV does this as part of their production process.

jtk

Ron Brese
10-27-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm sure that the adjustable part of the sole is ground along with the rest of the sole as one unit and the only way to make sure that everything lies in the same plane (pun intended) is to send a ground matched set.

Ron