PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl

Richard Jones
10-27-2011, 8:56 AM
walnut, about 8 x 2, WOP, buffed, waxed. This is as shiny as I get, and I will probably knock this back some. And I almost always apply a wash coat of shellac, but didn't this time, and I don't think the WOP did as well on the bare wood. Plus it seems to make it a lot darker than with shellac first.

This is from a friend's place of business, he had to cut a lot of walnut and hackberry in order to put up a new shed for some equipment.

Forestry folks were also by there and placed some traps for the Thousand Canker bugs. Don't know the outcome of that yet, but am trying to keep up with it, since Chesterfield County, next county over, is currently under a walnut quarantine for TCD.

I have mixed feelings about this bit of sap, some folks like it, some not. Since it's not reflective, I guess you could turn it so the sap wasn't visible....................

Thanks for looking.

Rich211243211244

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Rich that is a nice bowl. I do like the sap wood myself. Gotta love turning walnut.

Jim Burr
10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Great classic bowl Richard! I love the finish and the sapwood adds a bit of sparkle...walnut can be a little dull on occasion.

Jon Nuckles
10-27-2011, 1:14 PM
Nice shape, nice color, and nice soft finish. Nice! (Note to self, learn new adjectives.)

Baxter Smith
10-27-2011, 5:13 PM
Pretty work Richard in all regards!