PDA

View Full Version : More Birdhouses

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Well the lady called and said she wanted 6 more mini birdhouses. So I jumped on it today since it was snowing. Yep our first snow and the grass is white. Anyway I tried to make these look like they were made from old barn wood. The one on the right looks the best with what looks like old planks with knots. I burned spots to make it look like the wood had knots all over it. Anyway 3 more to go tomorrow. Lacquer finish on these as I ran out of GF Woodturners Finish but my quart is on the road.

Steve Mawson
10-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Bernie,
Always good to see your Birdhouses. Your are the one that got me started on them a couple years ago. Keep up the good work.

Jon McElwain
10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Those are really cool! I like the top on the first one and the middle and base of the third one the best. Of course I'd pick the middle for overall best.

I wonder how they would look if you turned the shingles into the wood, then burned the vertical lines?

What are the dimensions? Good looking houses!

Scott Hackler
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Nice ornaments Bernie! I like the added touches of lining the details on the roofs and siding

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice work Bernie! The shape you used on the roof is my favorite style and the shingles being less than perfectly symmetrical adds a lot. That might be the type of burning I could handle!

Chris Burgess
10-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Wow these are great. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

Jon the size on these are roughly around 4 1/2" long and 2 1/2" wide. The weigh around 1.85 oz.

Baxter I have a picture of my granddads old barn in I guess you could say time lapsed years. I took one about 2 yrs ago and it was 98 yrs old then. The shingles are not symmetrical so thought I would try to emulate it. The sides are long planks and are of varying widths so tried to emulate that on the one on the right. I really like it. I may keep it and just make another one.

Scott just trying to do different things with each batch I make. As I said above I had been looking at some old photo's of our farm and my granddad's for my sister. I saw the old barn and thought now that would be cool.

Kathy Marshall
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Those look great Bernie! I like the shingled look!

Donny Lawson
10-27-2011, 6:50 AM
Bernie, those are some great looking houses. I love the look.

John Keeton
10-27-2011, 6:59 AM
Bernie, the best yet!!! Really like the "barn" one that picks up on your Grandfather's old barn. I understand the asymmetrical idea, but I do wonder if one could turn a slight detente for each layer of shingles and add a little more texture to the roof - might be interesting to try!

charlie knighton
10-27-2011, 7:12 AM
cool Bernie, really like this batch of xmas ornaments

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2011, 7:46 AM
Wow - the gallery is going to love these! IMO - this is an excellent example of what 'folk art' is supposed to be! Looking forward to seeing how you develop this new look! I hope you like turning these because I can see your sales growing exponentially!! Very nice work Bernie! Have fun with it!

Russell Eaton
10-27-2011, 8:12 AM
That third one is the best birdhouse that I think I have seen. Incredible job Bernie.

Michelle Rich
10-27-2011, 8:16 AM
cute...glad she likes your houses

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone. Steve I took a couple down to the Gallery and already have orders. Haven't been down there yet but she called and said I needed to come down. Also she told me instead of waiting till after Thanksgiving to put up a tree and decorate it with my ornaments they are going to put it up on 11/01.

John I thought about doing maybe some texture on the roof before I burn but your idea of maybe doing a little carving to accent the shingles then burn I am going to play a bit with it. Thanks.

Paul Heely
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Another set of beauties, Bernie. Thanks for sharing them.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks Paul.

Dan Hintz
10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
At first they were somewhat ho-hum to me... not because they aren't executed well, it's simply birdhouses aren't my thing. But these are growing on me, and I have to agree, the barn version is really neat once you stop and admire it for a moment. I will have to try one of these some day. For the shingles, I might even try to take some scrap cedar or whatnot and add a few layers for a little more dimension.

Cathy Schaewe
10-28-2011, 6:30 PM
They are very cute!

Roger Chandler
10-28-2011, 9:24 PM
These are the bomb, Bernie! :D

Joe Watson
10-29-2011, 1:39 AM
Thats just great.
Aside from the lines and knots you added to the one on the right, did you do anything for color; oil, stain, etc ? The color completely makes it for me.

Billy Tallant
10-29-2011, 2:22 AM
Great looking birdhouses Bernie. The shingles & barnwood really set them off.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2011, 8:34 AM
Thanks again. Joe these were colored with COPIC pens I got from Hobby Lobby. I used a barn gray and brown.

Allan Ferguson
10-29-2011, 9:04 AM
I definitely like these! It is something that I should give a try someday.