PDA

View Full Version : Now this look safe. NOT!

Dave Lehnert
10-26-2011, 9:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

Phil Thien
10-26-2011, 9:15 PM
Yikes.

I suppose it isn't using SawStop technology, either.

Wes Grass
10-26-2011, 9:20 PM
He's wearing gloves.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-26-2011, 9:21 PM
Perhaps not...but he'll receive a nice retirement plan in just 30 more years.

Jeff:)

Gary Herrmann
10-26-2011, 9:36 PM
Oh geez, I just got the shudders.

Floyd Mah
10-26-2011, 9:38 PM
I used to watch Red Skelton on television when I was a kid. There was a skit that he did where he was a gunslinger. He would fire his six shooter, then raise the muzzle to his lips and blow away the smoke, then he would repeat. There was sound associated with his actions which went, "Bang, pfft", "Bang, pfft", "Bang, pfft". Then eventually he got out of sync and went, "Pfft, bang".

Kyle Brooks
10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
OSHA must not visit very often. LOL I just showed my wife and like I told her, "no way would I ever even think of doing that job."

Andrew Arndts
10-26-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2009/08/safety-third-huh/

Me thinks Mike Rowe, says it best. Safety Third.

Bruce Page
10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I hope he never goes to work with a hangover.

johnny means
10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to tell someone else to do that job.

Chris Parks
10-27-2011, 3:47 AM
He is wearing all his PPE, gloves, glasses, ear defenders, what else do you want him to do? It must have been a trifle interesting learning though because the slicing saw keeps on slicing and doesn't stop. Anyone for repetitive strain injury?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-27-2011, 3:57 AM
I must be missing something; I see no link? ...

Cary Falk
10-27-2011, 4:59 AM
Speaking of Mike Rowe and making shingles... Mike did this job in Season 4 I believe.

Peter Quinn
10-27-2011, 6:04 AM
Has the link in question been removed?

Doug Carpenter
10-27-2011, 6:59 AM
It's like watching a puppy on the highway!

John Coloccia
10-27-2011, 6:59 AM
It's an embedded video, so if you're looking an an iPhone I believe you will not see the link.

Here's the raw link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc&feature=player_embedded#!

Mark Ashmeade
10-27-2011, 1:33 PM
That just made me swear out loud. A perfect example of a Health & Safety "Elephant in the room". Goggles, earmuffs, gloves, and two massive spinning blades, on one which he isn't even looking at.

david brum
10-27-2011, 3:55 PM
That reminds me of when I visited a small cedar shake mill on the Washington coast back in the '80s. They had essentially a hydraulic guillotine for making the shakes out of big blocks of wood. No safety equipment of any sort, since the equipment was from the '50s or before. The old guys working at the mill were happy to show us all of their finger stubs, kind of a rite of passage.

Peter Quinn
10-27-2011, 5:56 PM
Uh, thats just frightening. Especially at that pace.

Jason Roehl
10-27-2011, 6:47 PM
Yep. That guy should be fired and the mill owners fined heavily. OSHA doesn't allow skill and self-preservation. :rolleyes:

Dave Zellers
10-27-2011, 7:04 PM
Yep. That guy should be fired and the mill owners fined heavily. OSHA doesn't allow skill and self-preservation. :rolleyes:
Not to mention being skilled at what you do.

Notice how his left arm and his right arm are doing different things at the same time?

This job is clearly not for everyone. But that group should not be dictating to others.

That person should be free to take on that job and others should be free to pass on it.

Jim Barstow
10-27-2011, 7:16 PM
Not to mention being skilled at what you do.

Notice how his left arm and his right arm are doing different things at the same time?

This job is clearly not for everyone. But that group should not be dictating to others.

That person should be free to take on that job and others should be free to pass on it.

It's never that simple. It's probably a no-benefit job with the wage too
low to buy health insurance. Who pays the medical costs when the worker loses his hand? We do. The company has effectively transferred
their health/safety costs to the taxpayer.

Dave Zellers
10-27-2011, 7:53 PM
It's never that simple. It's probably a no-benefit job with the wage too
low to buy health insurance. Who pays the medical costs when the worker loses his hand? We do. The company has effectively transferred
their health/safety costs to the taxpayer.
First of all, you don't know what his health benefits are.

Second of all, he should be free to take that job if he wants to, regardless of the benefits. We pay his medical costs when he loses his hand because we choose to. That would not be my choice.

Third of all, the Creek frowns on political rants , so I'm done.

Charles Brown
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
First of all, you don't know what his health benefits are.Second of all, he should be free to take that job if he wants to, regardless of the benefits. We pay his medical costs when he loses his hand because we choose to. That would not be my choice.Third of all, the Creek frowns on political rants , so I'm done.Just to point something's out--the site states the video was shot in Canada. Although OSHA doesn't exist, there is a Canadian equivalent. Also, You dont need to guess what his health benefits are--just look at the provincial health system he's living under (I'm guessing British Columbia). I can't speak to how that province's health care but I'm sure it's comparable to the health care offered in Ontario (where I'm from). I'm sure he'll be well taken care of in a timely fashion if/when he cuts his (insert body part here) off. I'm not disagree with you on the danger, I just wanted to clear up any potential confusion on the health care front.

johnny means
10-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I wasn't going to go there, but... as long as someone else opened the door.

That job is absolutely unconscionable. No employer should be allowed to take advantage of an employees needs like that.

Craig McCormick
10-27-2011, 11:35 PM
I wont be able to sleep tonight after watching that!

AZCRAIG

Don Morris
10-28-2011, 3:40 AM
He may know better but have no choice. Too bad if that's the case. I sure hope a fellow worker never surprises him from behind. I agree, I don't think OSHA would allow that here. I'm not a great fan of OSHA (they often make regulations that have unintended consequenses) but after seeing that, they do serve a purpose.