PDA

View Full Version : Which router bits???

Joe Ruszczyk
03-02-2005, 7:22 AM
I'm about to start my collection of router bits, but which ones??? I will be doing built-in shelves initially, but I can see myself getting into general decorative router use in the future. I have read threads that suggest staying away from the "router bit kits". The thinking behind thisalmost no one just starting out needs or will use 50 router bits found in a giant set! What I would like to do is get the best quality, most useful bits for the $200 I have saved for this purpose! If you where just starting your collection which bits would you buy? Any suggestions will be appreciated! :confused:

Jim Dunn
03-02-2005, 7:32 AM
I have a very small collection as well. I started with what I needed to complete a project I was working on at the time. I personally wouldn't spend $200.00 on bits just to have them. You/I never know which way our wood working takes us.

Doug Shepard
03-02-2005, 7:53 AM
I would really let your projects dictate which bits you need and when you need them rather than trying to put together a collection. That's the main reason for the logic on not buying kits. No matter which ones are in your kit, you always need another bit or two for whatever project you're currently working on.

Think about which bits you're going to need for your built in shelves. Are you going to use dados? And put them in with a router or TS/Dado-blade? Do you need to make any mortises? Dovetails? Rabbets? What will the shelves be made of? Solid wood? Hardwood Veneer Ply? (with solid wood edging or iron on veneer?) If solid wood, do you want some sort of edge treatment? Like a roundover? (and how big a radius?), an ogee shape?, a chamfer?, a bead? Do you need to do any template routing? If so, on a router table? or handheld? And how thick is the stock?

The answers to those kind of questions will dictate what (if any) bits you need. It takes no time at all to build up a bit collection after one or two projects. I've got a Woodline kit for the Incra Jig that I've maybe used 3 of the bits (out of 7-8 in the set). I've probably got another 30-40 bits that were all bought loose as I needed them over the last 15-20 years. Some of those have been used on more than one project, but all the loose ones have been put to use at least once.

jerry mayfield
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
While i agree with buy them as you need them there are a few you can start with . Everone needs atleast one straight bit (i prefer spiral up cut) a round over bit(this is the most used router bit in the USA) A roman ogee bit can also be used to cut coves, And a flush trim bit at least 1/2". What ever bits you buy -buy the best you can afford.

regards
Jerry

Bryan Nuss
03-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Last year I bought MCLS's 30 bit set, and so far I have used about half of them. I found them to be of good quality. For instance, I have used the 1/2" straight and 1/2" flush trimming bits on over 200 ft. of 3/4" oak and they're still in great shape. The price was right for me. Having a variety of bits to choose from is a plus. You can see them at:

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set30pc.html

Ted Shrader
03-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Joe -

If you are literally starting your bit collection, one of the small sets (4~5 bits) would be cost effective. The generally include a straight, round over, ogee, cove and flush trim. Beyond that, let your projects dictate which ones to get.

One last thing. Whenever possible, go with a ½" shank bit. The bit will run with less vibration and be less prone to breaking. Most profiles are offered in both ¼" and ½" shanks, but not all.

Ted

Harry Thornton
03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
I bought the 30 bit MLCS kit too. I may have only used 10-12 but if purchaced individually I would have spent as much as the kit. The kit has afforded me the opportunity to experiment and get a feel for what the tool can do. This is invaluable because there is a lot of difference in the behavior of various bits.

If you have an expert that can tell you exactly which bit you need for a particular application then a kit may not be the way to go. Otherwise, you are going to spend a lot of time running back and forth to the store buying bits...IMHO.

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2005, 12:16 PM
I have generally bought bits as I need them, however there are two sets that I found at a WWshow that I think made sense at the time and still do. They are a roundover set, 1/8-1/2, and an ogee set that are about the same sizes. Both have berings and both were bargain priced. I think I have used most of the roundovers in the past year or so, with the exception of the 1/2" but only one or two of the other set. Had I bought the bits I have used one bit at a time I would have spent much more than I have invested abd have less bits. As to any other sets, the only one I might consider would be the undersized straight cut bits advertised for dados in ply.

Stephen Dixon
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I started with the MLCS small 15pc set. I have used nearly all of these bits, some have been replaced, but I found the small set cost effective when you don't know enough to know what you need. After awhile you will know what you want to buy, and what needs to be upgraded, but a small set from one of the discount router bit places such as MLCS, Woodline Arizona, TWC, etc. will get you going.

Steve

Silas Smith
03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
I would have to disagree with the argument that you shouldn't start out buying a set of bits. I, personally, have graduated to buying individual bits, but at $30 or more for a whiteside, I think someone just starting out may not learn how great the router can be if they have to spend that money. They will be looking for ways to avoid using the router instead of looking for ways to use a different bit. Sometimes, you need to get a cheaper set to learn your tool and after you master it, you can graduate to better bits. The other factor is that unlike upgrading you jointer or table saw, a decent set can be bought for around $100. Having just spent $140 for a three piece freud set, that isn't alot of money and it will open up your eyes to possibilities in construction and design that you might not consider if you don't have the bit on hand.

Matt Meiser
03-02-2005, 5:26 PM
I also started out with the MLCS 30 bit set and have been very happy with it. I really don't think you can go wrong with this set as it is pretty inexpensive and the bits are good quality. I figure as I wear them out, I'll replace them with great (Whiteside/CMT/Freud) bits. Then my most-often used bits will be great bits and I'll have good bits for the rest. I did buy Whiteside for use with my Leigh jig.

Jim Dunn
03-02-2005, 5:40 PM
I yield to those with more experience than I!

Jerry Olexa
03-02-2005, 6:34 PM
I would really let your projects dictate which bits you need and when you need them rather than trying to put together a collection.

Doug said it well...Let your projects dictate what you need. I started w a couple MLCS kits ( they are good for the $ and perform well) and then had to order several times from MLCS as the projects showed a new need. Too many of my original 30 pc kit remain unused but I/m happy with the quality. G Luck!

Frank Pellow
03-02-2005, 6:59 PM
I am just getting restarted with a router. Last year I gave away my old old Craftsman router and about 20 router bits.

This week, I bought the new Festool 1400 router and I will be picking it up form a friend in Utah in April. I decided to mostly go with the "buy them as you need them" philosophy. The only bit that I know that I need is a straight bit, so I bought a really good Festool 10mm reversible duro-form bit (costing $84) along with the router.

But, I did say "mostly". I hedged my bets and also bought the following boxed set of 12 half inch router bits from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30224&cat=1,46168) for $119 (US). I think that I will find a use for most (if not all) of the bits in that set and, assuming that they are up to Lee Valley's quality standards, they are a bargain compared to the one Festool bit that I purchased.

scott spencer
03-03-2005, 7:20 PM
Whiteside has a basic 7 piece set of very high quality bits of the most common profiles for < $90. I think Hartville Tool and others have it. Then you can add specialized profiles as needed.

Corey Hallagan
03-03-2005, 7:33 PM
I started out about 15 years ago with a set of 7 Old Hickory bits, can't remeber what they cost but it seemed like a forturen to me then. It had a cove, 1/4 and 1/2 straight bits, 1/4 and 3/8 round overs etc. I now have a collection of about 50 different bits, all 1/4 inch shank. My next purchase will be a 1/2 inch collet router to use some bigger profile bits.
Corey

lou sansone
03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I have used a number of different makers for bits, all of which have been mentioned already. I can say the I ran over 5000 feet of material on one job using a cheap MLCS bit and it worked fine from start to finish. I think that the cove and roundover sets are a pretty good deal as are the dado sets. I buy special shapes as the job comes up.

Kent Cori
03-06-2005, 7:24 PM
MLCS 15 bit set and then replace or add to it with Whiteside and Freud. I did just this and am still using many of the MLCS bits. They are a great deal.