PDA

View Full Version : Nested Apple

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 5:29 PM
According to what was written on the bottoms, I cored thin this apple last November 4th. Apparently I am a little behind in my sanding. Won't be catching up anytime soon either! It was a rather boring few days.;):)
The largest goes from 14 3/4 to 13 1/4 in width and 5 1/8 to 4 1/8 in height.
Finished with Bush Oil.
Your thoughts are always welcome!

Hayes Rutherford
10-26-2011, 5:38 PM
Baxter, those have character and look like heirlooms! Nice job.

Bill Bolen
10-26-2011, 5:41 PM
Gorgeous Rustic look to all of these.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 5:49 PM
Really nice Baxter. I agree with Bill that those have a really nice rustic look to them.

John W Dixon
10-26-2011, 6:47 PM
Baxter those are gorgeous. I just absolutely love them! What a great look to them.

John Keeton
10-26-2011, 7:04 PM
Are you sure those didn't come over on "the boat"!! Fantastic looking set of bowls!

Alan Trout
10-26-2011, 7:11 PM
Those are a nice set of bows Baxter. Well done.

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
10-26-2011, 7:24 PM
I wouldn't brother sanding too much. I think it would take away from that charm if you sanded to to fine a grit. I take it the will be put to use so they will get a few nicks and dents in them anyway.

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2011, 8:24 PM
Wow! Beautiful set of bowls Baxter! Love the form and all that rich color! Very nice work!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-26-2011, 8:40 PM
Bax,
You're turning into a regular Mike Mahoney. Those look like the cover of his coring DVD. Bax, don't you have the Oneway Coring rig? If so, is that the one you used for this set. I've never tried coring thin bowls with mine but you may have opened my eyes to try.
faust

charlie knighton
10-26-2011, 9:00 PM
i don't have a favorite, i like them all, well done Baxter

Curt Fuller
10-26-2011, 9:02 PM
Great bowls Baxter. I sure like the color and the rustic nature of the apple wood.

Jon McElwain
10-26-2011, 9:30 PM
Boy, I sure would like to pick those up in my hands! You captured the rustic aged look perfectly. More details?? Finish, stain, coring rig??

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for looking and your thoughts!

I wouldn't brother sanding too much. I think it would take away from that charm if you sanded to to fine a grit. I take it the will be put to use so they will get a few nicks and dents in them anyway.My biggest regret Bob was not doing a cleaner and more even job on taking the sharp edges off the rims when I originally turned them. Also had some toolmarks that I thought I would just sand out later. Inexperience for you! Sanding out later resulted in some loss of the distortion at the top rim that was kind of neat. Went to 600 though you would doubt that in spots.:)

Bax,
You're turning into a regular Mike Mahoney. Those look like the cover of his coring DVD. Bax, don't you have the Oneway Coring rig? If so, is that the one you used for this set. I've never tried coring thin bowls with mine but you may have opened my eyes to try.
faust
Faust, I used the Oneway. When I cored these, I shaped the outside of the large bowl then cored out the center to probably about 5/8 at the rim because I wasn't sure how much they would move if I went thinner all the way. Leaving that large section in the chuck, I turned the inside to match the curve on the outside to about 3/8. Then grabbed the center section by a recess I had made in the top. I repeated the whole process of shaping the outside, taking another core, then turning the inside smoother and to an even wall thickness. I am sure someone who knew what they were doing could probably do it in a lot fewer steps.

Boy, I sure would like to pick those up in my hands! You captured the rustic aged look perfectly. More details?? Finish, stain, coring rig??
Jon, there isn't much more detail to add.:) You just need to take a wild Maine Apple tree and let it grow along a stone wall in the woods for a century. It uprooted a couple years ago during a bad windstorm in the spring when the ground was soft. The black stains along one side was nearer the base of the tree where the center had rotted out. This was the lowest I could go. Spoiled my hopes of getting a 22 inch bowl!;)
The rich color is just time and a little oil.

Kathy Marshall
10-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Very very nice Baxter! A beautiful set!

Michelle Rich
10-27-2011, 8:27 AM
I love to turn apple & these are just wonderful. Great wood & great wavey shapes..well done.

Jim Burr
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
These have such a rustic feel, and from the looks of it, very expertly cored! Those will find a great home!

Reed Gray
10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Looks like Baxter is getting warped. Just my style.

robo hippy

Peter Elliott
10-27-2011, 1:12 PM
Baxter - how was the "bush oil" finish? I saw this last year at a wood show.. The booth was pushing it hard... Is it a show finish or utilitarian finish (or both)?
and how did you apply it?

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-27-2011, 5:35 PM
Thanks for the details, Bax. That sounds like a fun project. So you actually cored the largest first then flipped the core around and made a tenon, chucked that and repeated the process. This may sound nuts but if you were working with a tight grained wood with no holes, would you consider truing the outside of the core using the "mortise" then chucking the core in your vacuum chuck to take the next core. I'm wondering if the process would be too much vibration for the vacuum. I guess if you could keep the tailstock in place it might work. What do you think?
faust

Baxter Smith
10-27-2011, 5:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. They are appreciated.

Looks like Baxter is getting warped. Just my style.

robo hippy
Seeing is believing!;):) Reed, you have got to learn to take pictures!! I would even be happy with a Youtube video of your wild ones!:) Your three recent ones were winners so.......!

Baxter - how was the "bush oil" finish? I saw this last year at a wood show.. The booth was pushing it hard... Is it a show finish or utilitarian finish (or both)?
and how did you apply it?
Peter, my experience with the Bush Oil is limited to a couple coats on two different turnings. Last spring in New York at Totally Turning, I noticed that the majority of oil finished pieces used it. Don't remember seeing a single AO piece so figured my favorite wasn't what the "experts" were using. It looked good but none had as much of a gloss as the AO can develop. Pretty much the same was true at the AAW in Saint Paul. I have not seen it for sale in this area but did pick up a can at the Woodcraft in New Hampshire a few weeks ago to give it a try. I applied it with a cheap bristle brush. Put it on liberally and kept reapplying for several minutes to areas that absorbed it. The directions say to wait 30 minutes then reapply and wait for 15. Then wipe dry. Ready for use in 16-18 hours according to the can. I was still able to pull some to the surface 24 hours later using my vac chuck. Feels pretty silky smooth but I will try buffing it in a couple of weeks to see if it develops a little more of a shine. I often go with 5 or more coats of AO but haven't tried that with this. A quart was almost 29$ compared to about 20$ for the AO.

BILL DONAHUE
10-27-2011, 7:52 PM
Lots of charm in those pieces. What kind of coring system do you use? My wife is always asking or a set like this, but without a coring system, it's just not something I relish doing.

George Guadiane
10-27-2011, 8:00 PM
WELL DONE!
If you water to power sand you can sand to finish and use bush oil pretty easily (just a thought).

Baxter Smith
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
......... So you actually cored the largest first then flipped the core around and made a tenon, chucked that and repeated the process. Yes, except I used a recess. This may sound nuts but if you were working with a tight grained wood with no holes, would you consider truing the outside of the core using the "mortise" then chucking the core in your vacuum chuck to take the next core. I'm wondering if the process would be too much vibration for the vacuum. I guess if you could keep the tailstock in place it might work. What do you think? It might be possible to do it that way but I doubt it would be as strong a hold as a good chuck with decent sized jaws. My vac chucks are just schedule 40 material with a thin foam seal. Until I got to the smaller bowls, I was able to use the same size jaws when flipping . With multiple chucks and jaw sizes, it doesnt take long to change them.

Lots of charm in those pieces. What kind of coring system do you use? My wife is always asking or a set like this, but without a coring system, it's just not something I relish doing.
Thanks Bill. I have the oneway. It came as an extra with the used lathe I have. Pretty sure I never would have paid the new price since it is about twice the price of the Mcnaughton.

WELL DONE!
If you water to power sand you can sand to finish and use bush oil pretty easily (just a thought).
Thanks George. Not quite sure I follow you on this. Power sand with water or power sand with the Bush Oil? I did use BLO to power sand with on a couple of them.