PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Box Weight?

Bill Lewis
03-02-2005, 6:56 AM
How much does the largest box/crate for a unisaw weigh?

I may not be able to get the saw delivered directly to the basement shop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17390) because of snow on the ground, and the fact that it is absolutely saturated when the temp is above freezing. I may just have to let them deliver it to the garage and move it later. :(

Jim Dunn
03-02-2005, 7:26 AM
About 300 or 350lbs. Course that was a unisaw with 50" fence and other extras. A saw with a smaller fence may be shipped differently. You should still have freezing weather in your future, I would think.

Rob Russell
03-02-2005, 8:17 AM
All you need are a couple of sheets of plywood. If the driver has a pallet jack and is willing to let you use it, just leapfrog the sheets of plywood around your house to the shop doors. If you're really worried about stiffness screw a couple of 2x3's lengthwise down the sheet of plywood to act as bracing. Make sure you can overlap the sheets of plywood so you roll from one right onto the next. If you don't bother with the 2x stiffeners for the plywood, think about how you'll get the saw into the shop. If there is a significant height difference between the shop floor and the ground, you may not be able to lift the pallet jack enough to clear the hump at the door. If that's the case, have a set of 2x's under your plywood, but set it so the plywood+2x's hang just under halfway into the shop. Then, when you roll up the ramp, at some point the weight of the saw will drop the plywood down flat (like a see-saw) and you can roll into the shop. You may need to slip the driver a $20 if he helps with this unless you have paid for inside delivery. You'd also want to make sure the truck has a liftgate. Otherwise, the driver shows up in a truck, drops the saw at the back of the truck box and says "go for it guy" and watches you get it down from the truck.

Bill Lewis
03-02-2005, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It is an X5 Unisaw RT with the 52" unifence. At 350#'s I can probably use the tractor loader bucket to move it. I've got a couple of weeks to see if the weather will improve. It'll have to get significantly better to dry out the yard. If it were solidly frozen then it would be ok to drive on it, but I don't see us getting those kind of temperatures again (It is almost spring isn't it!?).
We just got snow on Monday, so it needs to melt first, then we need a bit of warmer weather to dry out the yard. Without the snow, it's like walking on a saturated sponge.

Maybe now would be a good time to order those bucket forks for the tractor.

I know I'm getting antsy over this. The outfeed table arrived yesterday, and I want to get the new saw in and set up. I also have to submit for the two rebates, and the free tool (router) offer and that's always a pain getting all the information together for that.

JayStPeter
03-02-2005, 10:17 AM
The big box is pretty heavy. But once you unpack it you can make it lighter. The extensions can be removed from the box. Then the saw cabinet can be disassembled. You can remove the motor and top and be able to carry each component down by yourself. Just be sure any shims under the top are replaced to the same location (mine had none). It's also a good time for a bolt check. The only ones I found loose were the ones that hold the black base onto the cabinet. Two of them were about to fall off, the others were not real tight. The entire disassembly, carry, reassembly process took me far less time than getting the extensions, fence and table on and aligned.

Also, when you do put the thing together, follow the directions except for one thing. Align the blade to the miter slot before installing the fence and extension table. Check it when you're done, but it is much easier to do without the added bolt-ons and extension legs in place.

Jay

John Shuk
03-02-2005, 5:08 PM
Bill,
I am in exactly the same boat as you. My Unisaw was delivered but with the snow I'm holding off until it clears. I am waiting for a mobile base anyway so It sort of works out. I'd be too tempted to put the saw together without the base and would wind up fighting it later. Good luck with the saw though.

Jim Dunn
03-02-2005, 5:48 PM
A friend bought a Grizz mobile base in anticipation of delivery of a 1023 saw. He waited till the local wood show and went ahead and cancelled the 1023 in favor of the X5 unisaw. He kept the mobile base and put the unisaw on it. I think it is a big mistake to use the extension base to level the saw. It puts all the strain on the plywood extension table. WAIT on the original mobile base from Delta. Just my .02

Matt Meiser
03-02-2005, 6:33 PM
Maybe now would be a good time to order those bucket forks for the tractor.

These would probably do the trick: http://www.paynesforks.com/

Christopher Stahl
03-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Bill,
If there are two of ya to move it, there won't be much of a problem getting it down in the basement with a furniture dolly. My wife and I were able to get it down there, and we took it through the house since the ground is to wet.

You may not be able to get it through the house and down, so leap frogging the plywood, like Rob said, should work.

Good Luck,
chris

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 6:30 AM
These would probably do the trick: http://www.paynesforks.com/
Yes, I have been seriously considering buying these forks for the tractor. I have read good things about them on the tractor forum tractorbynet (http://www.tractorbynet.com). I'm just not sure if I want to spend another $300 right now. :confused:

I bought the saw at the Chantilly, VA show from Skarie in Baltimore. Part of the show promotion is that they include the Delta mobile base with the saw, so I should be receiving it at the same time. I'm sure it'll be better to have it for set up and assembly.

I may call Skarie today to see about delivery. I'd like to have it here so I can start processing the rebates and free tool promotions. If the saw were here I could also persuade my friends to help me move it when they come to pick up my Contractor saw.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 9:14 AM
Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait awhile to get the saw. I just called Skarie, and the saw and the mobile base are both back-ordered. Seems they oversold the saws at the show. They "think" they will have one next week.

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't ask them to credit my charge card until at least they have a saw in the store that they can deliver.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 9:25 AM
I'd definitely ask for "no charge" until delivery is in sight...

Those forks are nice. The only downside is that the weight is so far forward which effectively reduces how much your can lift while increasing the amount of weight you need to have on the back of the machine to balance. With my 700lb backhoe mounted, I can lift about 150 lbs over the limit of my bucket before the hydraulics protest, but it stays "really low" to the ground to avoid tipping. Putting weight farther forward would eliminate that gain and likely some more from the rated lift just due to the leverage the extra distance gives to the payload. TBN is a great forum for tractor buffs!

Byron Trantham
03-03-2005, 9:56 AM
I bought a Unisaw and picked it up in my Nissan truck. The dealer loaded it into the truck with a fork lift. When I got home I removed everything from the box (including the cast iron extension wings) so just the cabinet was left. Then I removed the motor. Sound scary; not really. It hangs via a long bolt. The wire runs though the cabinet side and terminates in the magnetic switch. I removed the magnetic switch cover and located the motor wires. I wrote down which color was connected to which screw. After removing the wire, I removed the tension adjusting bolt and then the retaining clip for the swing bolt. One of my friends held the motor while I removed the swing bolt. Now all that had to be lifted was the cabinet and cast iron table top - DO NOT REMOVE THE TABLE TOP! After the cabinet was placed in the mobile base, I did everything in reverse. Two of us walked it around the end of the house and down about 7 steps into the basement walk-out. The whole process took about 30 minutes. Good luck.

JayStPeter
03-03-2005, 10:16 AM
DO NOT REMOVE THE TABLE TOP!

Why? It's way easier than removing the motor. You wouldn't have even needed your buddy then.

Jay

Bart Leetch
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't have any experience with the tractors you fellow's have but I do have experience with Bobcats (skid-steer). Question do they have a system similar to the Bobcat where you can remove the bucket & put forks on in place of the bucket? If they do I'd save up the money & get it. Like Jim says it will allow you to pick up more weight it will also allow you longer forks it may even allow you to be able to turn around in a smaller space. I don't know for sure but these tractors don't look like they'll turn as short as a Bobcat.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Bart, some tractors have quick attach like Bobcat (most even compatible); some do not. These are usually the larger CUTs, however. My smaller machine doesn't, although there is now a third party that has a product that will make my bucket removable so that their fork system will slap right on. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive.

greg kurtock
03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
DO NOT REMOVE THE TABLE TOP!
I'm with Jay, why not remove the top? It's only held on by 4 bolts. Yes, you need to reallign it, but that's no big deal.

I got my uni down the basement stairs all by myself. I removed the top, but not the motor, and wheeled it down on a 2-wheel hand cart. I debated removing the motor too, but in my case (good back), it was not necessary.

To reallign the top I snugged the bolts, then tapped opposing corners with a rubber mallet until it was just right, and then did the final tightening.

Greg

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 1:59 PM
I don't have any experience with the tractors you fellow's have but I do have experience with Bobcats (skid-steer). Question do they have a system similar to the Bobcat where you can remove the bucket & put forks on in place of the bucket? Check out the following link for Markham Welding (http://markhamwelding.com/) They make attachments for skid steers. Alot of people on TBN (http://www.tractorbynet.com/) have purchased bolt-on tines for their tractor buckets and have been real happy with the company, the equipment, and the price.

John Deere does make a pallet fork attachment for their tractors, it only takes a couple of pins to remove the bucket and attach the pallet fork frame. The pallet fork from JD is mighty expensive though ~$1800 as I recall.
Skid steer attachments are more universal (not 100%) than tractor buckets.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 2:04 PM
Markham has also gotten good comments on their toothbars for the FEL...an attachment that is almost a must-have if you want to dig.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 4:42 PM
:D LOL :D
BTW, FYI FEL means "Front End Loader" There's a whole different set of net-speak on the tractor board. Just like the common ones found here e.g. SCMS, TS, etc...

John Shuk
03-03-2005, 8:43 PM
Yes, I have been seriously considering buying these forks for the tractor. I have read good things about them on the tractor forum tractorbynet (http://www.tractorbynet.com). I'm just not sure if I want to spend another $300 right now. :confused:

I bought the saw at the Chantilly, VA show from Skarie in Baltimore. Part of the show promotion is that they include the Delta mobile base with the saw, so I should be receiving it at the same time. I'm sure it'll be better to have it for set up and assembly.

I may call Skarie today to see about delivery. I'd like to have it here so I can start processing the rebates and free tool promotions. If the saw were here I could also persuade my friends to help me move it when they come to pick up my Contractor saw.
The mobile base if gotten by sending in a coupon that comes with the saw. it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get. It should come with the saw I think!

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 9:07 PM
The mobile base if gotten by sending in a coupon that comes with the saw. it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get. It should come with the saw I think!Well yes, if you were to buy it from WWS or some other retailer this would be the case. The show special included the mobile base in addition to the regular promotions that Delta was offering. I am getting the mobil base delivered with the saw. This basically knocked $200 off, making up more than the difference in paying sales tax. The show special was definately the way to go in this case. I too think that the mobile base should be included, and in this case it was. Now if they had only thrown in the Bies splitter too.;)