PDA

View Full Version : Measuring viscosity of finish when using turbine

Alex Horvath
10-26-2011, 3:09 PM
Hi all,

I have been spraying Ben Moore Satin Impervo oil based on some various projects for a few weeks now with very good results. I thin with mineral spirits to about 30 secs on Ford #4 cup and get very consistent results.

A few weeks later, I then sprayed a room in my house with lots of new trim and when I sprayed it, I noticed that the finish would run very easily but I adjusted my technique to minimize. However, when the finish dried it had very little build and very little sheen most likely because it was overthinned. I really scratched my head on this one because I did check the thinned viscosity as normal. Then I realized that overnight temps just went a lot lower lately and I keep my product in the garage. So when I thinned the finish, I was probably thinning to a lower temp than normal. Since I'm using a turbine (and the spray job took many hours to complete and temps went up), the gun air temp is much higher than ambient.

So I think that when checking viscosity, especially when using a turbine, the product temp should always be the same temp so results are consistent. Keeping product in the house the day before shooting is probably a good idea when overnight temps dip a lot. Do professional finishers use a temp controlled cabinet or similar?

Before shooting, I always check my spray pattern on a piece of colored paper but this mostly just shows if the viscosity is too high (pattern has spatter).

Appreciate any comments on how critical product temp is.