PDA

View Full Version : Sanding hood

Reed Gray
10-26-2011, 1:26 PM
My sanding hood I made so I don't have to wear a dust mask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHkEXVkAqw&feature=feedu

r (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHkEXVkAqw&feature=feedu)obo hippy

ray hampton
10-26-2011, 1:39 PM
that is a good idea

Tim Rinehart
10-26-2011, 2:08 PM
Reed, that's a clever hood. I happened to wonder over to another of your vids...turning a bowl with scrapers. Well done and certainly dispels notions that a scraper, used properly, can do pretty much anything.

Dave Ogren
10-26-2011, 3:22 PM
Reed,

Why don't you start two more threads about your other two (2) new videos. I liked them and am sure that a lot of others would really appreciate them also.
Thanks for showing us.
Dave

charlie knighton
10-26-2011, 3:55 PM
Reed, thanks for sharing, i agree, i hate to sand

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 6:05 PM
Reed that is a really nice hood. Thanks for sharing.

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 6:06 PM
Thanks Reed. Makes me want to upgrade. I just use a cardboardbox on the end of a 6" hose that half wraps around the turning. It does make a world of difference!

Curt Fuller
10-26-2011, 9:19 PM
Reed that hood is about the best idea I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing.

Roger Chandler
10-26-2011, 9:45 PM
pretty ingenious ............. is the cut out in the back center where the dust hose is connected? Is there any special fitting on the connection with the dust hose? Some pics of the back would be nice.

Reed Gray
10-26-2011, 9:57 PM
The vent on the back is like a floor vent, and the hose comes off parallel to the lathe bed. You can just see the hose through the acrylic. You can buy sheet stock of that type of plastic from supply places. That barrel is 1/4 inch thick, but the sheet stock does come thinner.

robo hippy

John Spitters
10-27-2011, 1:41 AM
Good idea !
I've been thinking of building something to help contain the water spray when turning "wet wood" and this gives me some ideas now.
thanks

John

Joe Watson
10-27-2011, 1:49 AM
Add another thumbs up to the list, thanks for sharing.

Ken Whitney
10-27-2011, 5:43 AM
I'm sure Reed is too modest to mention it, but his excellent (for-sale) video on using the McNaughton coring system also shows the dust hood in action.

Bob Akers
10-27-2011, 7:49 AM
A little of the subject but what kind of chuck do you have on
your lathe??
Thanks
olf20 / Bob

George Guadiane
10-27-2011, 8:32 PM
Good idea !
I've been thinking of building something to help contain the water spray when turning "wet wood" and this gives me some ideas now.
thanks

John
Along with the obvious and significant advantages for repertory health, this is an EXCELLENT way to keep the lathe bed dry when water sanding.

Thank you for posting the video. I'll be making one of these soon!

Cathy Schaewe
10-28-2011, 6:55 PM
I really found that informative - thanks for posting!

Dennis Ford
10-28-2011, 6:58 PM
Excellent design, I made one this afternoon and it works great. The setup that I had before captured most of the dust but this is much better.

Reed Gray
10-28-2011, 9:53 PM
It is the smaller Vicmark with extended jaws. They will expand into oval recesses, and hold well enough for sanding, and gets the bowl away from the lathe for sanding access.

Yea, I did have a small clip on the coring DVD about my hood. This one is updated.

robo hippy

allen thunem
10-29-2011, 8:00 AM
hey reed would you mind posting a picture of how it is attached to the bedways??
or offering an explanation?
thanks

Reed Gray
10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Allen,
I guess I didn't clarify that. If you look at the bottom, I screwed on some plywood strips. One to get it up to center height, and 2 on each end to fit into the ways of the lathe. With the circle cut for the headstock spindle, it just sits on the bed of the lathe. Makes it easy to put on, and take off.

robo hippy

Russell Neyman
10-29-2011, 12:25 PM
What a tremendous idea! I suppose certain types of trash cans would work, too.

Alan Trout
10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Reed,

That is a very crafty solution. Very well done.

Alan

Hayes Rutherford
10-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Reed, after seeing this video I've been thinking new collection hood. It doesn't look like you can use your tail stock or tool rest inside the hood so I'm guessing that you turn bowls to final size while green using a recess for your chuck. Then when dry, do you sand any number of pieces both inside and out while held by only the recess?

Reed Gray
10-30-2011, 12:07 PM
This version of my hood is for sanding only, I can not leave it there while I am turning. That will be another 'round-to-it' project. I turn a bunch of bowls, green wood, let them dry, then sand and finish them. When sanding, the lathe spins at 10 to 15 rpm. Since my bowls are warped, speeds have to be that low or else I could not keep abrasives (hand or power) on the wood. The old PM3520A would go that slow. Then they upped the minimum speed to 50 rpm because they said, "your motor will heat up and you will burn out your electronics." I told that I had sanded out thousands of bowls that way and had no problems. They told me that was not possible. I now have a Robust, and Brent walked me through the steps of setting the speeds down, on the low end, and up a bit on the high end. The motor runs cooler than when turning (hand on the motor test). I would guess that is because there is almost no load on the motor.

I do expand into the warped recess with small jaws shown in the video. You just need minimal grip because, again, there is no load on the wood or motor, and speeds are slow. I am a believer in slow speed sanding, both the wood and drill running slow. It is secure, and I wouldn't turn with the grip I use for sanding.

I still want to see some sort of articulated arm for mounting the drill sanders on.

robo hippy

Tony Pridmore
04-25-2015, 3:51 PM
Original link is now dead. Try this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

Wes Ramsey
04-27-2015, 10:19 AM
I clicked the link, but it says the video is unavailable.

Reed Gray
04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Well, I copied this today, it should work, or just type in robo hippy and scroll down.

robo hippy

David Cramer
04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Reed, you are one wise and resourceful guy! I'm sure glad that you post such cool videos:). I've really started to check out all of your YouTube videos in the last month or two. Amazing things that you share with the general public. THANK YOU:):):):):)

David

Wes Ramsey
04-27-2015, 3:51 PM
Well, I copied this today, it should work, or just type in robo hippy and scroll down.

robo hippy

Sorry Reed - that was for the original link. This one works :)