PDA

View Full Version : Snow-Capped, Spalted Birch and Holly

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Roughed this one out last September and posted it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148931-Another-Nicol-Knockoff&highlight). Had problems with tearout while finishing and couldn't seem to make a cut without something pulling somewhere.
I had planned on doing something black on top but there wasn't any in the form itself. Didn't have any brown dye so ended up using poly on the holly. Thought it would yellow it a bit and try and match some of the shades in the form.
As with most things I do, as soon as I take pictures, I start seeing things I would have done differently but.... your thoughts on the matter are welcome and appreciated! Shapes, color, whatever!
I have already heard from the Mrs. :D so you don't have to pull any punches!
Something to the effect of it looking better after global warming. Not those exact words but you get the drift:).
9" x 6" x 3/16" or just over 12" with the snowcap.
Finished with 8 light coats of Deft gloss lacquer spray and gloss WOP on the holly

Jim Burr
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Don't know why, but I think a finial with another inch on it may balance the height better. Overall...a knock out! The natural holly is great and the form is different but I really like it!!

mike ash
10-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Baxter - it's a nice form, piece of Birch and finish. I haven't yet developed an eye for finials, but I like the one you placed on top of this one.

Dennis Ford
10-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I like the HF and the white holly fits very well. IMHO the base of the finial overpowers the rest of the finial.

Al Wasser
10-26-2011, 2:20 PM
I agree. The finial seems a little too diminutive for the turning it is on. The HF looks fine to me.

Tim Rinehart
10-26-2011, 2:24 PM
Great job on form of this piece and the details on the finial are really well done. I see and agree with Dennis' observation about weight of finial base and Jim's that it could be a bit higher and in my thoughts, larger too.
This piece really stand well with no finial at all too...superb job conquering the tearout. That can make a gorgeous piece of wood seem like a woodpile candidate if not resolved!

charlie knighton
10-26-2011, 3:49 PM
very nice Baxter, i like your snowcap, the spalted birch is a knockout, anything over 6" deep hollowing is a struggle with my tools, what are you hollowing with, your continuous curve works for me, the base is a little abrupt, different, works

John Keeton
10-26-2011, 5:19 PM
Baxter, I have looked at this several times, and I think this piece looks better without the base and finial. That said, however, I do like the holly as a contrast. I have tried to pinpoint what it is that has drawn the comments on the base/finial, and I think it is the taller slope of the upper portion and the opening being a bit larger than what we see most of the time. That, of course, produces the need for a larger cap, and when combined with the additional "rise" in the base of the finial, the result is a finial that appears a bit small. I think the size of the finial does well with the form itself, but there are limited ways to present it otherwise. No doubt, black would change the appearance. There is always black matte spray paint! It works!

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 5:53 PM
Really nice HF Baxter but I would leave it without the finial. It just doesn't do it for me. Really nicely done.

Baxter Smith
10-26-2011, 6:33 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts. They are appreciated and considered!

.......IMHO the base of the finial overpowers the rest of the finial.
MHO tends to agree with you Dennis!:) but what if it wasn't white.....

..... anything over 6" deep hollowing is a struggle with my tools, what are you hollowing with, .....
Charlie, I roughed this out with some homemade hand held tools and a very long scraper. I purchased the Monster system since then and used it for probably 75% of the finish turning.

..... I have tried to pinpoint what it is that has drawn the comments on the base/finial, and I think it is the taller slope of the upper portion and the opening being a bit larger than what we see most of the time. That, of course, produces the need for a larger cap, and when combined with the additional "rise" in the base of the finial, the result is a finial that appears a bit small. I think the size of the finial does well with the form itself, but there are limited ways to present it otherwise. No doubt, black would change the appearance. There is always black matte spray paint! It works!
Thanks John. You have just about summed up my thoughts to a T. I can see changes I would make to roughouts that were done a year ago but I haven't figured out how to put the wood back yet.:) It would be interesting to see the change if I was to go with the black. Perhaps the smog will move in.:)

David E Keller
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I can see changes I would make to roughouts that were done a year ago but I haven't figured out how to put the wood back...

Truer words have never been spoken! I've got a pile of rough outs that I'm afraid will never see the finish line because I made some really poor decisions at the time I rough turned them. I think you've done a nice job with this one, but I agree with the others about the visual height of the finial.

Kathy Marshall
10-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Really nice piece of wood and I like the form. I like the contrast of the holly and how it brings out the lighter highlights in the form. I like the finial base as is, the lighter color may make it look a little oversize, but the shape fits the lines of the form and keeps a nice curve from the shoulder. I do agree the finial could be a little taller.

Michelle Rich
10-27-2011, 8:23 AM
very little to nit pick over, Baxter. It's hard in pictures to get real proportions. If forced I would say the finial might be taller, but, it's a gorgeous piece, and you should be very happy with it.

Roger Chandler
10-27-2011, 3:07 PM
I like the finial.........as to the form, it is good, but more of a taper to the bottom would have made it outstanding........this is a very nice form Baxter, you do nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2011, 3:54 PM
Baxter,

Very nice work! Great form and I especially like the fine detail work in your finial!

I can see what some of the folks are saying about the base of the lid.... so I tried something to see if it looks better or not. That is a judgement call for you to make.

I also have to disagree with the comments that the base needs to be smaller. You tucked the curve in to give the piece lift and I think you accomplished that just fine!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Baxter Smith
10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts. They are helpful!

Baxter,

Very nice work! Great form and I especially like the fine detail work in your finial!

I can see what some of the folks are saying about the base of the lid.... so I tried something to see if it looks better or not. That is a judgement call for you to make.

I also have to disagree with the comments that the base needs to be smaller. You tucked the curve in to give the piece lift and I think you accomplished that just fine!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
Steve, thanks for your thoughts and taking the time to modify the picture. That does reduce the visual impact of that large white area. Still have the jamb chuck I made for it so plastic surgery is a possibility!:)

Rick Markham
10-28-2011, 6:42 AM
Baxter sweet piece! I really like it, I think the finial is wonderful, I do like the tucked look in Steve's photoshop pic. Even just removing the little ridge would make the base of the finial look lighter, and give you the appearance of a little more height. I really like the details in your finial, especially the nearly perfect teardrop shape. I think the two forms lend themselves together, they both seem very organic, the form with the base neatly tucked under, is almost fruit like. I think it's an excellent piece!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-28-2011, 9:10 AM
Baxter
I'm right there with you on the rough turnings. I've got about a dozen or more rough turnings that I did when I first started doing vessels that I now look at and think Wow what was I thinking when I did this !!! Most of them have been hanging in my shop for several years now. I may finish them and give them away to family members some day or never finish them I don't know yet.
Any way I think you've got a great looking piece here, could it be better ? probably but that's what your next turning is for. I like to think that every turning I do is a learning experience & hope that my next one is a little better in some way that my last. This is not always the case but it's a goal to strive for.

Cathy Schaewe
10-28-2011, 6:50 PM
I really like the HF, but the finial not so much. The experts have already commented on the shape, height, etc. of the finial, and I couldn't possibly add anything to what they have to say - but I don't like the color contrast. I think a dark brown would have worked better. Still, it's a pretty piece.