PDA

View Full Version : Door Skin Usage???

Jim VanBramer
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
I have a chance to pick up a stack of oak, maple and mahogany door skins at a fairly good price. Can anyone here tell me what these might be used for, since I don't plan on building too many doors in the near future! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Jim V

Charles Wade
03-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Jim, they are the veneer sheets that cover hollow core doors.

Charles Wade
03-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Jim, sorry about the (obvious) previous answer. I just re-read your note and realized you were asking about other possible uses.

Alan Turner
03-02-2005, 4:03 AM
Here are a few ideas:
Bendable skins for curved work
Skins for torsion box benches/tables
Pattern wood, such as for cabriole leg patterns

Dave Richards
03-02-2005, 6:29 AM
Small boat(s) using stich and glue construction. Door skin plywood is plenty thick for a small pram with 4 or more strakes to a side. I know a fellow who built a 12' racing sailboat using doorskin plywood. The boat weighed about 100 pounds with f'glass and epoxy.

Steve Hooper
03-02-2005, 7:17 AM
Good Morning:
Door skins make nice fodder for your scroll saw.
Steve

Kurt Loup
03-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Stitch and glue kayaks are made from that type of ply. I used Lauan for the hull of this kayak.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/finishedviewtoprear2-438x329.jpg

Pat Salter
03-02-2005, 12:02 PM
you could also use them for backs to bookcases and cabinets, I think.

Bill Ryall
03-02-2005, 2:05 PM
Ditto what was said above for boats.

I just finished (5 minutes ago) loading a pile of doorskin ply in my truck to begin construction of a 12' sailboat. However, it is just the standard bland skin, nothing really nice, so it will be painted.

BTW, I got the ply for the price of "Get it out of here!" Does that qualify as a gloat?

Dave Richards
03-02-2005, 3:22 PM
Bill, what sailboat are you building with those doorskins?

Hal Flynt
03-04-2005, 3:28 PM
I think of doorskins as 1/8" plywood.

2 back to back make some nice panels for cabinet doors and come in at 1/4".

Thick veneer over MDF etc.

You'll find lots of uses, when you go in that looking around the shop for hmmm....

Bill Ryall
03-04-2005, 8:35 PM
Dave- slightly modified version of the old Popular Mechanics (?) plans for "Breeze Baby" that can be found several places on the web.

12', single sail, oars or a small outbard.

The plans were free, and it seems relatively simple as far as boat construction goes. I figure it is a good way to learn boat construction and sailing. It will hold me over while I build my 20' weekender. :>)

Bill R.

Dave Richards
03-04-2005, 9:23 PM
Bill, I think I have the plans for the Breeze Baby around here somewhere. Pulled off the Net as you did. I built a Weekender and launched it summer before last. Right now I am anxiously awaiting spring when the lakes will become soft enough to sail on. When are you planning to start on your Weekender. BTW, if you have any questions regarding construction, let me know. PM is probably best since I don't really want to hijack this thread anymore than I've done. ;)