PDA

View Full Version : Roubo build help...

David Wadstrup
10-26-2011, 9:25 AM
This might sound like a strange request. I also might be posting it in the wrong place, so please forgive me. I've been working on a Benchcrafted Roubo for a few months now, and have been documenting the build(although I haven't had the chance to post any updates in the past month or so) here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168304-A-Hand-Built-Roubo-and-the-Education-of-a-Woodworker&highlight=). The base is totally done and put together, and I've Just finished ripping(by hand) all of the top's laminations. I was all ready to start in on dimensioning and squaring them(also by hand), when I decided that in the interest of time(I've been building this in my 1 bedroom apartment's living room) I'd prefer to speed up the process and do them by machine. The problem is that I don't have the machinery to do the job. So, here is my question:

Does anyone know of a place in Brooklyn, NY that I can take my boards to have them jointed and planed to final size? I wouldn't feel comfortable just dropping them off at some lumber yard. I'm thinking of maybe a place that would rent me the use of their equipment for a few hours(also maybe help me a bit, too, since I don't know how to use this kind of machinery). There is a place called 3rd Ward, but they charge $110 for a days worth of access(admittedly reasonable), but don't provide help using the equipment. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

David

russell lusthaus
10-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I grew up i Brooklyn and built my first canoe in my parents one car garage. I know how you feel, not having access to the equipment, and I am willing to help - although I no longer live in Brooklyn. If you are willing to come North to Westchester County, I would be more than happy to offer my shop to you (and my assistance). Although I do not have a jointer, I do have a TS and a planer, and am confident we can get your boards in ship shape in no time.

If interested, send me an email or pm.

Russ

Jim Koepke
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Wonderful…

How could this have happened before the internet?

This is the main reason my responses to new posters asks about their location if it isn't already in their profile.

Hope you two have a great get together and maybe post a few pictures.

jtk