PDA

View Full Version : Mounting emmert vise to pine?

James Taglienti
10-26-2011, 7:41 AM
Ok i got ahold of a large emmert vise the other day. It mounts with just a handful of what seem to be pretty undersized wood screws. The bench i want to put it on is an old solid core door, with a pine core. The pine is pretty soft. Yes i will build a real bench soon but until then, do you think this pine will hold?? I dont want this thing to come down on my foot, or even worse, the cement floor! (yes in that order!)

Rob Fisher
10-26-2011, 9:52 AM
Ok i got ahold of a large emmert vise the other day. It mounts with just a handful of what seem to be pretty undersized wood screws. The bench i want to put it on is an old solid core door, with a pine core. The pine is pretty soft. Yes i will build a real bench soon but until then, do you think this pine will hold?? I dont want this thing to come down on my foot, or even worse, the cement floor! (yes in that order!)How thick is the door? How heavy is this vise? Are you sure it is a solid wood core door (also called a stave core door)? Most solid wood core doors have solid wood stiles and rails and some solid wood blocking around the knob hole, the rest is sawdust and glue.

Nicholas Lingg
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
The two outside holes will take 5/16-18 "stove" bolts with the heads turned down. The center hole needs a No. 18 screw which is very hard to find. Here is link to the install instructions. http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/how_to.htm#How to Install

James Taglienti
10-26-2011, 8:57 PM
Its an emmert # 1 , weighs over 80lbs... Im not as much worried about the screws pulling out of the wood... More of me pressing down on the vise when it is extended, and tearing a chunk out of the bench as the vise falls. The door is 1 3/4 thick and came out of the local high school over 30 years ago, it is true wood core. I read the instructions, and i wouldnt worry if i was mounting it to hard maple or something.

Walter Plummer
10-26-2011, 9:26 PM
Hello James. I think it will be ok for now. It will over time cause the corner to sag. Mine is mounted just outboard of the leg and you can tell it still pulls down on the bench. You know what they say about gravity. :rolleyes: I got my screws from Bolt Depot. Jamestown Distributors has them also. $$. My friend used 5/16" bolts for his and they worked fine. They are great vises. I forgot to add if you go with the #18 screws get a screwdriver bit for your brace. You will be glad you did.