PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust H/F As Art Deco

BILL DONAHUE
10-25-2011, 9:25 PM
This is a honey locust H/F that's 12" high by 7" wide. Wanted to do an art deco-ish piece for an art show just to try something different. Art deco is a style in art and design that was popular in the 1920's to '40's and often characterized by rising steps of geometric patterns. Always admired the art deco buiildings in Miami and NYC (Empire State & Chrysler buildings). Thought I'd try to use beads at an angle and rising towards the center on the base, rim and top, and then a finial like the steeples on the buildings. Not sure it all worked but "ya gotta start somewhere" and I'll try it again. The black areas are gesso, used because it doesn't soak into the wood. This allows one to use a tool to turn the wood right up to the gessoed areas giving crisp lines where they meet. It was a rush job so it didn't even make it to the Harbor Freight photo tent, just to the dining room table. (BTW - couldn't find any wooden art deco forms in a search on the net so I had the benefit of starting with a clean slate)

John Keeton
10-25-2011, 9:29 PM
Bill, let me be the first to say I like it!! Very unique and well done.

Baxter Smith
10-25-2011, 9:47 PM
I can definitely see the art deco resemblance Bill. It should stand out at the show. Well done!

Allan Ferguson
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I think that you have really hit on something with this peace.

Roger Chandler
10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Nice one Bill...........interesting form............I could see a lot of different potentials with this concept.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Really nice Bill. Interesting and cool. I like it.

BILL DONAHUE
10-26-2011, 8:44 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and encouragement. So far, everything I've turned is either trying to learn how to turn in general or trying to do what someone else has already done. Now I want to try doing things a little different and trying to develop a style. This is something that Molly Winton discussed earlier this year at the Tennessee Woodturners Symposium. Her demos were terrific in many respects.