PDA

View Full Version : Buying new TV

Sean Troy
10-25-2011, 8:27 PM
Hey all, what retailer would you buy a new flat screen tv from and why?

Matt Meiser
10-25-2011, 8:48 PM
Costco, for the return policy if you get a bum one or one you just don't like.

Sean Troy
10-25-2011, 8:56 PM
Costco, for the return policy if you get a bum one or one you just don't like.
No Costco near here. There is a Sam's Club

Steve Griffin
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Made a few purchases at Best Buy this last year and was very impressed with the excellent customer service. Each time got a guy that could answer every question I tossed out and give some good insider info on various features.

Bill Rogers
10-26-2011, 6:55 AM
Have you tried Costco.com?

Paul McGaha
10-26-2011, 8:10 AM
Our family has been buyiing Samsung TV's from Best Buy the last couple of years or so.

We like Costco also but they are really pushing Vizio TV's. Not that we dont like Vizio but we've had good luck with Samsung's.

PHM

Larry Browning
10-26-2011, 9:49 AM
I would look for a local TV and electronics shop. We have 2 or 3 in my small town. The sales staff really knows what they are talking about. The ones here will always match Best Buy prices, plus they will come to your house and set it up for you. If you have a problem you can call them. Customer service is what sets them apart.
My experience with the big chains is that, even though the sales person has an answer to every question, it may not be correct. I know this to be true about computers, which I am pretty knowledgeable about. It seems to me that they just make stuff up if they don't know the answer. Or even worse, they THINK they know what they are talking about, but really have no clue.
Also, do internet research. When it comes to electronics of any kind, you will find mountains of reviews, both professional and user.

Garrett Ellis
10-26-2011, 9:55 AM
Unless you are set on buying from a local store, I would also check out www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) and www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com). They will have many customer reviews to help you decide, both have good return policies and usually have cheap or even free shipping despite the size/weight of a large TV.

You could always do your shopping at your local best buy or sam's and then order from an online retailer.

Jamie Buxton
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
If it is a big one -- 40" or more --- I'd buy it from a local store, not online. I'd be leery of it surviving the package-delivery operation. It is a big flat box that might get bent or dropped. In constrast, it'd get to the local store on a pallet with many other electronics boxes, and would be less exposed to damage.

Bryan Slimp
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
How comfortable are you setting up the TV? What size are you looking for? What features/specs? What other components need to integrate? Are you looking for a package deal (TV and Blu Ray)? Are you going to stream content from the internet?

Answer all of those questions and then decide where they lead you. I've had good service from Best Buy (or other local retailers) throwing TVs in the back of my SUV or rental truck, and know people that have been impressed with Amazon's White Glove Service. I really like the Panasonic Plasma TVs. Not a fan of any of the current 3d technologies yet.

Dave Lehnert
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Warehouse clubs tend to have very low prices on extended warranties.

Brian Tymchak
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
We bought a couple LGs and a Samsung plasma at the end of last year from HH Gregg. The sales guys were really knowledgable and I feel we got very good quality sets. They offered a very good return and warranty policy as well. We bought the installation from them as well and there seemed to be some disconnects between the sales staff and the installation staff, but it got worked out. The one big bummer was that when they showed up the screen on the plasma was shattered (but with no damage on the shipping box!). We got lucky, there was 1 left in all of Columbus and the installers went and got it for us. Despite the installation issues, I think we would go back to them again.

We also shopped the local Best Buy but their staff were very uninformed about the products they were trying to sell. We were there all of about 5 minutes before deciding to move on.

John Lohmann
10-26-2011, 1:48 PM
I agree with Bryan, I looked at Brandsmart & HH Gregg had better prices, they will probably match any price you give them. They beat Brandsmart by$50. I looked at Costco too, but if you aren't a member, it might not be worth it

Sean Troy
10-26-2011, 5:41 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I don't have any problem setting up the Tv. Online order of a TV doesn't worry me but the shipping does.

george wilson
10-27-2011, 9:43 AM
I like to see the picture before I buy any model of T.V.. Last Christmas I bought a 65" Plasma Panasonic from Best buy. It is highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Last night,BTW,we were in Best Buy. The Panasonic had by far the best 3-D picture. Was also highly rated by
consumer Reports.

I hope they manage to make a 3-d that uses no glasses one of these days.

Larry Browning
10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
3D just doesn't do it for me. For me, it's the 3D effect I don't like, glasses or no glasses. It gives me a headache. Somehow the technology overshadows the story and takes away from the movie.

Sean Troy
10-27-2011, 7:11 PM
Does the 240Mhz refresh rate make that much difference as opposed to the standard 120?

Larry Browning
10-28-2011, 9:30 AM
For me, it does not. In fact, on my TV it causes what is called the soap opera effect. Meaning, movies seem to all look like they were filmed using cheap video tape. I was considering taking it back, until I discovered that I could drop the refresh rate down to 60hz, which eliminated the problem. I think sporting events seem to do better at the higher refresh rates, but not movies.

Sean Troy
10-28-2011, 11:04 AM
For me, it does not. In fact, on my TV it causes what is called the soap opera effect. Meaning, movies seem to all look like they were filmed using cheap video tape. I was considering taking it back, until I discovered that I could drop the refresh rate down to 60hz, which eliminated the problem. I think sporting events seem to do better at the higher refresh rates, but not movies.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I couldn't find to much info online that said one way or the other.

Brian Tymchak
10-28-2011, 1:13 PM
I bumped into this page (http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/120hz-240hz-60hz.html) (or maybe an earlier version of it) when I was shopping for my TVs. I thought it did a good job explaining the effect of higher refresh rates. When I was shopping, I had heard from a salesman that the higher refresh rates were needed for better 3D. I've read since then in other places that that isn't necessarily true. Bottom line is that 240 will give a somewhat clearer picture of fast-moving uneditted scenes like sports but might expose some of the cinemagraphic editing that is done for movies, etc.

Jim Becker
10-30-2011, 8:35 PM
I bought my 52" Sharp Aquos from Amazon.com...