PDA

View Full Version : Bailey no5

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2011, 6:50 PM
Bought this today for 25bucks.I think its a older one?I never come across used hand planes that interest me.Here in calif just dont see many.Anyways the plane looks like it was well taken care of execpt for the piece missing from the side.The bottom is flat and the blade looks to be an olde.What do ya think?

Dave Ring
10-25-2011, 7:40 PM
Assuming all the pieces are original, you have a Type 12 made between 1919 and 1920. The handles look great and IMHO are worth the price of the plane by themselves. Too bad about the chips in the side and on the lever cap but they shouldn't harm the tools function. It looks like you've bought yourself a very nice and thoroughly useful old No.5.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2011, 8:07 PM
To me it looks like a late type 11. Tall knob and small adjuster. I think type 12 had a SW blade and a large depth adjuster.

It does look like a good user. I file down the edges of the missing spots from the base so they do not feel rough on my hands.

jtk

daniel lane
10-25-2011, 8:12 PM
Assuming all the pieces are original, you have a Type 12 made between 1919 and 1920.

So...model year 1919½? :p

daniel

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Thanks guys for looking,i have been holding out on buying a jack plane from Lie N.So far my fore plane and smoother have got me by.this weekend i'll have time to get her tuned up.Now that i have the proper set up i can start doing some serious woodworking.:)

Greg Wease
10-25-2011, 9:59 PM
Not to nit-pick, but the pictured plane (or at least the casting and the iron) is a late Type 11. Type 11s are the only casting with 3 patent dates and with a "V" shaped logo on the iron; Type 12s have only one patent date, and have a heart shaped logo with the letters "SW" on the iron.

Not nit-picking either but both Type 11 and Type 12 planes had three patent dates. Regardless, this was a great era for Bailey planes.

Terry Beadle
10-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice user ! A definite gloat !

I'd upgrade the blade to a Hock or such. It makes a tremendous difference in performance. I've got 2 old #5's with Hock blades and they are a real treat to use.

Enjoy the shavings !

Andrew Hughes
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks terry,I do need a new blade was thinking about a hock if it were to fit without too much trouble.Can you point me to the correct blade to order?I dont mind filing the mouth wider if i have too.

Jim Koepke
10-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Andrew,

Here is the page at Hock Tools that has the blade for a #5 (2"):

http://www.hocktools.com/BP.htm#BK

I like the high carbon blades. Others may prefer the A2 blades. They are both great blades.

I have some of the Hock chip breakers, but the Stanley chip breaker can be tuned to work fine. The Hock chip breaker is a better chip breaker.

jtk