PDA

View Full Version : Photograv help??

Tim Hickman
03-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I just received Photograv tonight. I am trying to engrave a picture on Black Marble bought from laserbits. I scanned as an 8bit grayscale, at 300dpi. I run it thru photograv and the simulation and engraved looks great. I save the file, then open in Corel 12. The picture has a white background, but when corel opens the white is black. The background is engraving. Please help. Am using an epilog mini 25 watt.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Rodne Gold
03-02-2005, 12:12 AM
When engraving on black marble , the output is white , which is oposite to how you see the pic on your screen. The back bits are actually UNENGRAVED on black marble (otherwise you see a negative type image on marble) hence the program inverts the image.

Kevin Huffman
03-03-2005, 9:19 AM
Hello Tim,
Marble is the complete opposite of most materials. When you engrave on most materials the material turns darker. With marble it turns white where you engrave. Photograv is smart enough to know that the image has to be inverted to engave right.
On most lasers white is 0% speed and 0% power. So where you see white, it won't be engrave, which means the whites areas in your image will leave the black surfaces of the marble untouched. Making that part of the image black on your marble.

Let me know if that helps.

Tim Hickman
03-03-2005, 1:08 PM
Sorry I hadn't gotten back, the flu has grabbed hold of me and not let go. I was having vapor lock of the brain, :D I figured it out, and the results look great. The Epilog manual suggests 10/100 on marble. When I changed it to 45/50, it looks great. THanks for your help.

Tim