PDA

View Full Version : Changing image colour for engraving

Paul Williams from Nunavut
10-25-2011, 2:45 PM
I seem to recall that for better results in engraving (anodized aluminum etc.) it is better that the image to be engraved is black. Assuming that this is correct, does any one know a simple way to change a multicolour image to black using Corel X5 or Paint or some other windows based programme?

We've got an order to do a supply of pens and the customer supplied logo is in shades of gold. Many thanks for any assistance it this.

10-25-2011, 3:48 PM
Never mind folks. Figured it out, using Corel's Photo-Paint X5. Hit the Adjust -> Grayscale buttons and then shifted all the colour options to a -200% value.

Frank Corker
10-25-2011, 3:48 PM
Paul your laser is going to change it automatically to shades of grey. I'd be more inclined to see what the result is on one test piece to see if it needs to be darker. If the file is an eps, you can ungroup all, click on the gold piece and then click black on the colour swatch on the left hand side.

10-25-2011, 3:53 PM
Paul your laser is going to change it automatically to shades of grey. I'd be more inclined to see what the result is on one test piece to see if it needs to be darker. If the file is an eps, you can ungroup all, click on the gold piece and then click black on the colour swatch on the left hand side.

Thanks, Frank. I did a test run of the logo, colour unadjusted, and it was too faint, even with a couple of multi-passes. Sadly the file wasn't eps, rather it was a bitmap, and the gold was shot through each character/piece of the logo, but thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

Bill Cunningham
10-25-2011, 9:41 PM
Paul.. Welcome to the #1 problem laser users/owners have.. The customer has no idea of what is usable artwork.. I'll bet the image they sent is a web clip or other low res image as well... Once I tell the customer what it's going to cost them to convert the colour, low res image they supplied to a useable form, they start looking for a better image.. If it's a logo for a business that at least has a letterhead, ask them who printed their letterhead/business cards, and if they can send you a more professional version of the logo..