PDA

View Full Version : Jet Planer Help

Brian Backner
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

I have a Jet JWP-15CS planer. I had tuned it up ala' Bob Vaughn several years ago, and it has been working just fine. So far, so good.

I recently needed to have the knives resharpened. For a variety of reasons, I didn't get around to picking them up for about six weeks.

Now to the problem I'm having.

During that interval, one of my woodworking "buddies" borrowed my planer knife setting jigs and used them to tweak his own planer, and, you guessed it, he reset them so I lost the reference to reinstall my own knives (nice friend, isn't he?).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what cutting diameter the knife tips sweep out on this planer. A search online didn't turn up anything and a call to Jet/PM/General was not returned. With this value, I then should be able to get close to the correct setting by subtracting the diameter of the head itself; once the knives are re- installed, I can then reset the chip breaker, etc.

I should point out that I bought this planer used and it did not come with the factory knife setting jigs.

In the future, I will lock those jigs away until the knives are reinstalled!

TIA,

Brian
Taxachusetts

Bruce Wrenn
10-25-2011, 8:48 PM
BUY A SECOND SET OF KNIVES! This will never happen again if you install fresh knife after removing dull knife. Global Tooling will sell you a set of new knives for just a little more than sharpening costs. Does you buddy (former buddy?) also have a 15" planer? If so, just set jig off one end of his knives. 15" planers are pretty much generic, with major difference being motor on top (Delta), or motor on the bottom (most of the rest.

Brian Backner
10-26-2011, 6:41 AM
Hi Bruce,

Unfortunately, my buddy has a "small" 12" Parks (thing is twice as heavy as the Jet, though). Yeah, I know I should have another set of knives, but I've been meaning to sell it for two years now - I've been in the process of refurbishing a Crescent P24 I bought off evilBay .....

In a manual for one of the Grizzly 15" planers, they state that the knives extend from the head by 0.059", so unless someone comes up with a different value, I think that's where I'll start.

Thanx,

Brian
Taxachusetts

Mark Kelly 92040
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
In a manual for one of the Grizzly 15" planers, they state that the knives extend from the head by 0.059", so unless someone comes up with a different value, I think that's where I'll start.

Brian,

I recently bought a used clone 15" planer and also had to figure out the right blade height to install a new set of knives. I found the same reference in the Grizzly manual and used that to set my knives. It worked perfectly for me.

Mark

Brian Backner
10-26-2011, 2:02 PM
Brian,

I recently bought a used clone 15" planer and also had to figure out the right blade height to install a new set of knives. I found the same reference in the Grizzly manual and used that to set my knives. It worked perfectly for me.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, that is good to know that it worked for you. Since it appears that all of these 15" planers are built in one or two factories, it makes sense that they would share the same specs.

Brian
Taxachusetts