PDA

View Full Version : New LV Gent's Saw

Eugenio Musto
10-25-2011, 8:24 AM
A new saw from the innovative(in form and materials) molded-spine saw line from Lv.These saw were very popular here in Europe as an alternative of the Dovetail Saw, they were used for small scale joinery works and for small mitre boxes.
I think it can be an alternative to the japanese saw because they share the same shape of handle and grip although the japanese ones cut on the pull stroke.
Considering the angle of rake(14° for the ripcut and 15° for the crosscut )and the teething per inch(sorry i don't know if this is the correct english word) i think it can also be a good saw for beginners.
What do you think about these kind of saw?they can be useful for others tasks?Do you prefer a Dovetail saw or a Gent's saw?

P.S.If Rob Lee is reading, where is the tenon saw:D?

Jim Matthews
10-25-2011, 8:36 AM
These are an excellent value, and well built.

I agree with your suggestion that they would benefit from a greater depth of cut.
My suggestion would be to start with a Carcass (or Gentleman's?) saw filed to rip cut.

I find this design much easier to keep straight than the Japanase style. I use the pull saws for other cutting duties.

One note - these have VERY fine teeth, lightly set, and will not quickly cut harder woods.

paul cottingham
10-25-2011, 12:06 PM
P.S.If Rob Lee is reading, where is the tenon saw:D?

I second that!

Jim Koepke
10-25-2011, 12:13 PM
The 14º rake on the rip saw seems a little bit relaxed. I have been using 8º on my rips and have started to switch to 5º to be a bit more aggressive cutting on some saws.

They do look nice. I bought a Gent's saw many years ago from Sears. I have since filed it for crosscutting and use it often on smaller stock.

jtk

Zach England
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Interestingly, I looked at the Veritas saws and saw that the cut was very fine, so I wanted to compare with the Lie-Nielsen equivalents (which I own but do not really use), but the Lie-Nielsen "straight-handled dovetail saws" are not listed on their site. Did they discontinue them?

Jim Neeley
10-25-2011, 8:38 PM
The L-N's are available on the Craftsman Studio web site though I could not find them on the L-N site either, so you may well be correct!

Jim

Zach England
10-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I am kind of wanting one of those, but am not sure what I would do with them.

Joel Goodman
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
They have only the 10 pt rip and the crosscut gents saw at Craftsman Studios -- the "normal" 15 pt rip is not available. LN has discontinued the gents saws. For comparison the LV rip is 20 pt. But if you want a coarse fast cutting gents saw.....

Kevin Grady
10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I second that!

thirded!!!

Jonas Baker
10-26-2011, 2:51 PM
Yeah yeah yeah... very interesting.....now where are those new lee valley chisels I've been hearing so much about!!!!

Sam Joyce
10-26-2011, 5:12 PM
[QUOTE]now where are those new lee valley chisels I've been hearing so much about!!!!/QUOTE]

since this thread is all about jumping on the bandwagon.... seconded!!

john brenton
10-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Ive had a few german models, and although they werent hard to tune up, IMO that straight handle is unnecessarily strenuous to use, especially when doing a lot of dovetailing. I guess some guys like it, but to me the pistol grip style is way better. I have yet to do it, but i plan to put a pistol grip tote on an old 15 dollar german "gents saw".

Russell Sansom
10-29-2011, 4:49 AM
I have always used a "gent's" saw for tenons and smaller dovetails. The "Ball" handle of a Disston #68 is one of the better-kept secrets in woodworking. I generally take one long stroke that marks the entire line that is to be cut before sawing the line completely. The blade itself dictates a straight line. The shallow kerf creates a path-of-least-resistance for the completed cut. I do this by holding the saw at a steep angle from the horizontal...whatever angle cuts the whole line in one stroke. It's the ball that allows this without contorting the hand. The ball can sit in the palm with a uniform grip no matter how steeply the saw is angled. For this method the LN straight handled saw works, but not nearly as well.