PDA

View Full Version : Poplar plywood in the UK?

Michael Hunter
10-25-2011, 6:22 AM
Anyone in the UK know of a place to get 3mm and/or 6mm poplar plywood in smallish quantities (just a few full sheets)?

(I did find a timber importer who sells it, but only by the pallet load (50+ sheets)).

TIA

Frank Corker
10-25-2011, 3:30 PM
Mike call in at B&Q they seem to be about the only ones who do smaller quantities of wood. You have to pay more for it because there aren't that many timber merchants working with wood. Odd but it's true, years ago there were plenty but now they seem to import these days.

Michael Hunter
10-25-2011, 3:53 PM
Hi Frank

Never seen poplar ply in B&Q.
They do sometimes have birch ply, but it is always exterior grade when they have it. Mostly they sell the cheapest nastiest far-eastern hardwood stuff.

There is a good local timber merchants - I get my interior birch ply there - but they just looked blank when I asked for poplar.
I think they have the same trouble as me - they would have to buy a palette and if I am the only customer for it ...

Incidentally, Latham's are a good source for birch ply so long as there is a depot nearby. They closed the local one and now want ££££s to deliver!

John Lane
11-11-2011, 5:06 AM
Michael
Try Avon Plywood in Keynsham near Bristol. They stock Poplar plywood in both 3mm and 6mm in single sheets and offer a cutting service.
The plywood I bought from them a couple of years ago used interior grade glue rather than WPB so it cut like butter with no edge char.

Michael Hunter
11-11-2011, 5:09 AM
Thanks John - I will give them a try on Monday