PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT2000E getting very hot

Jeremy Bracey
03-01-2005, 9:39 PM
I have a freud 3 1/4 hp plunge router mounted in my table. It is getting extremely hot. It appears to be getting hot around the base, not the motor. It also stinks a bit. It still seems to work fine. ANy ideas? Its not real old and it hasnt seen a lot of use. Definatly not as much use as some of my friends that have the same router. I ony go through about 8 styles before it got extremly hot.

HELP!

Everette Harmon
03-01-2005, 9:44 PM
I use the Freud in my router table, I make sure that I blow it out on a regular basis because it breaths in dust all the time, while in the table. I'm not sure what type of bearing the thing has but you could have a bad bearing which could cause a lot of heat. Not much help, hope you get it figured out. I've had mine for 3 years with no problem
Everette

lou sansone
03-01-2005, 9:54 PM
what type of dust collection are you using? are you removing most of the chips that are being generated by the router? they could be clogging up the router and not allowing it to vent properly

Jeremy Bracey
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Dust collection: I run a DC to a 4" port on the cabinet. Stays relatively clean. I also run a shop vac on the fence. I have blown out the router with an air compressor. It is not due to sawdust.

Everette Harmon
03-02-2005, 5:43 AM
I could not find prints on line. I think you may have a bad bearing. These are two of the authorized repair stations in your area. May be they can give you some idea. It appears you've done the right PM's.

Wagner Electric of Fort Wayne
3610 North Clinton St.
Fort Wayne 46805
219-484-5532

Anderson Brothers Tool Repair
3531 Southeastern Ave.
Indianapolis 46203
317-356-6381

Larry D. Wagner
03-02-2005, 7:19 AM
:) Jeremy

Hi! I'm one of your neighbors to the north.(Angola) I agree that it could be an upper bearing, but how much air are you allowing into the cabinet. With your fence collector working against the dust collection system and not enough air into the the cabinet box could cause the problem you have. You need about as much air in as is going out which helps cool things a bit.

My .02 worth!

Larry:) :) :)

PS: Dave R, You & I need to get together some Saturday for coffee and rolls!:D

Sam Blasco
03-02-2005, 10:51 AM
I ended up putting several powered exhaust vents in my router table years ago and it seems to have helped the heat situation considerably. I use the big PC fixed base in mine.

Jeremy Bracey
03-02-2005, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I have used this for several years and for much longer pierods of time, I dont think its a ventilation issue. It also is creating a strong oder as it heats up.

Any other thoughts? Id rather not destroy the router using it if it has something that should be fixed.

Fred Floyd
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
I use the Freud FT2000E router in a router table patterned after the Norm Abram "Deluxe router table". Part of the mods I did was to increase the dust collection. I have a 4" port below the router and a 3" port through the fence. Combined, they go into a 5" line back to the cyclone DC.

This seems to provide excellent dust collection... so much so that there is rarely anything left on the inside. The router stays very clean in this environment.