PDA

View Full Version : "Wave" Hollowforms

John Beaver
10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
6" x 7" Walnut and Bleached Walnut. Finished With Tung Oil.
6" x 7" Carob. Finished with Lacquer

I've been wanting to do some "wavy" hollowforms to go with my "wavy" bowls. It took me a while to figure out the extra steps and purchase a few hollowing tools.
The finial is intended to represent a wave to go with the "wave" in the body.

I felt the Carob piece had a natural "wave" to it so I used the same finial. I'll probably keep using it as my "signature" finial.

Comments Welcome

Joe Adams
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
John,

I really like it. It's unique and works well with your signature wave.

Baxter Smith
10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Both look great John. The forms and finial are distinctive. Really like the finish and color combinations as well!

Alan Trout
10-24-2011, 11:29 PM
John,

Those are awesome. Love them both.

Alan

Doug W Swanson
10-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Really well done! The finial is very different but really goes well with everything.

Kathy Marshall
10-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Niceeeeeeee! They both look excellent!

charlie knighton
10-25-2011, 1:45 AM
i like the wave, when i see it i know it yours

joel nucifore
10-25-2011, 5:19 AM
Just "wow" you have something that is just awsome......

Michelle Rich
10-25-2011, 5:37 AM
always fascinating to watch turners take it to the next level. Thanks for allowing me/us to travel with you.

John Keeton
10-25-2011, 6:10 AM
John, these are both beautiful. Very clean work, and great finish. As always, your "wave" effect is striking!

I like the wave finial, and agree it makes a great signature look for you. If I could suggest something - in looking at the various bowls and forms you have done with the "wave" element, the curves are all some variation of the ogee and on some the "upturn" is more dramatic than on others.

When using this finial, I think it is going to be important for the finial to replicate the "movement" of the wave in the form - in other words, to have the same lift, or lack of it. In the one you depict here, the wave in the form has a definitive "upswing" on the left side - yet, the finial seems to have a downward turn to it.

On a previous form I did, I used a similar effect on the finial (whole different method of getting the wave), and I believe it is an easier element to do on a form without your signature wave effect. However, I also believe this is an important element for you and can really add a new dimension to your work with the HFs. Please understand there is no way I could do this quality of work, and I just add these comments because I sincerely want this finial idea to work for you. This is great stuff!

Josh Bowman
10-25-2011, 6:11 AM
Really like 'em

Jack Mincey
10-25-2011, 6:23 AM
Absolutely beautiful forms John. I see all your bowls as unique and that is hard to come up with.
Jack

Bob Rotche
10-25-2011, 7:22 AM
As always, your work is just outstanding and instantly recognizable as your own. I think that is something many artists strive for and few achieve. I really like the wave finial and look forward to seeing how you adapt its use in future works.

Roger Chandler
10-25-2011, 8:22 AM
Good Stuff, John..........as usual! I like the wave finial..........very complimentary to your form.........this is the start of a great series!

Bernie Weishapl
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Really nice pieces John. The finial and form look great. I like'em both.

Prashun Patel
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
+1. Clap, clap, clap. I like them apples.

Scott Hackler
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Excellent work John. While I think the one on the right is lovely, the HF with your signature wave is outstanding! The only thing that might improve that one would be a laminated finial so that the top or middle of the "wave" of the finial would be of a contrasting light colored wood. Great job.

Tim Rinehart
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Super evolution John! I like what you're doing here and yep...your wave work is distinctive. You really have carved a superb niche with these pieces.
Look forward to seeing more.

David DeCristoforo
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I like these… a lot! The wave design is always intriguing. One might think it is done using the same technique that John Keeton used on his recent platter. But the fact that the wave is recessed suggests something a bit more complicated. I actually prefer the walnut piece even though it has no wave in the form. The shape of these forms is so sweet that the wave almost detracts from it.

The horizontal wave finials work well. John might be correct in that they might work better if the wave design matched the wave in the form. But the thing that bothers me about them is the flat appearance. I think they would have a much more fluid quality that would be more compatible with the forms if they were more rounded and softer. Nevertheless, these are top notch pieces.

Chris Burgess
10-25-2011, 1:55 PM
Just amazing work. I cant even begin to wrap my head around how you do that.

John Beaver
10-25-2011, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am certainly having fun with the evolution of this technique.

John K. and David D. - I appreciate the feedback on the finial. I'm sure it too will continue to evolve was I play with it more, and I will keep your suggestions in mind.

David E Keller
10-25-2011, 7:56 PM
Beautiful work, John! I love the wave finial, and I look forward to seeing how it evolves. As for matching the curvature of the wave in the form... It seems that rotating the finial relative to the form will give the synchronicity that JK is describing.

John Beaver
10-25-2011, 9:01 PM
Beautiful work, John! I love the wave finial, and I look forward to seeing how it evolves. As for matching the curvature of the wave in the form... It seems that rotating the finial relative to the form will give the synchronicity that JK is describing.

Indeed you are correct, but John's point about the two arcs matching is also valid.