PDA

View Full Version : Problem on anodized aluminum

David Schrubbe
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying out my first project on anodized aluminum (from Chewbarka, of course), and I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm only engraving text, and on more than one occasion now, I end up with dark discolorations. I don't know if it's just failing to engrave properly, or if there's something else going on. Anyone see anything like this before?

http://i.imgur.com/C01mK.jpg

Thanks,
- Dave

Anthony Scira
10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Please list equipment and settings to give an idea of where to start.

David Schrubbe
10-24-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm on an old Epilog Summit. Running at speed: 40, power: 100. CorelDraw X4.

Joe Kace
10-25-2011, 5:45 AM
I engraved AA all the time on a 40w and my settings are 95s 65 power @ 300dpi and they turn out nice.

Michael Hunter
10-25-2011, 6:16 AM
Sadly, it looks like the ageing tube syndrome. First few pulses fine and then the power drops away.
The edges are a bit raggedy, which also suggests tube problems to me.

Ways round it - run slower, with relatively more power ; play with the ramp and acceleration settings ; start saving up for a new tube.

Scott Challoner
10-25-2011, 8:38 AM
I would say you are overpowering it. I have 30 watts and run annodized at 20% power. All you are doing is effectively bleaching the color out. You're not trying to remove anything. I would try less power. I also run at 600 dpi and 90% speed.

Joe Hillmann
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I think it looks like your tubes need to be recharged or replaced. I am having similar problems with mine but it is only on long areas of engraving when the power starts to drop. For the time being I just run a bit slower and and when doing vector cutting I select the entire part in corel and rotate it 4 or 5 degrees that way none of the lines are on only one axes. I don't know why but it makes a big difference.

Frank Corker
10-25-2011, 3:44 PM
Well I don't disagree with any of the comments above. However, I found variations on doing some of the Chewbaka tags.... I think it is dependent on the thickness of the anodised coating. There, I've said it.

Darryl Hazen
10-25-2011, 3:56 PM
I'm going to agree with Frank. The anodized layer can vary in thickness.

Bill Cunningham
10-25-2011, 9:46 PM
When my tube started to go, just as it became useless it engraved white/red romark that had those same burn marks..

eduard rodriguez
10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Same problems for me.. my tube is now on photovaclaser.. waiting for diagnostic$...

Niklas Bjornestal
10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Is it only blue you have trouble with? I have some anodized nametags, and they engrave fine except for the blue ones.

Tim Bateson
10-31-2011, 7:44 PM
I love Chewbarka tags. Most of them are a piece of cake - although the red usually lasers pink - rairly white. Now to be honest, I've done hundreds of them, so, I've worked through any issues. Unlike those that Frank must get on that side of the pond, I find them to be very consistent. There were some issues when they started & like I said the Red still has issues, but the rest are a no brainer to laser.

Dee Gallo
10-31-2011, 9:04 PM
I love Chewbarka's tags too - I use settings the opposite of what you're listing, Dave. I got them straight from Chewbarka: 100 speed, 80 power on dogtags for my 35w. For pet tags, it's 100 speed, 45 power. They are obviously made differently. Works every time like magic. I've even color filled them with Sharpie markers.

cheers, dee

Tim Bateson
11-01-2011, 7:15 AM
Dee, I use similure settings. The 100/80 for Photos & 100/45 for Text. I have even used laser transfer paper & heat press for full color images on these tags. Still testing that process, but the 2 on my key chain have lasted 6 months and still look great.

David Schrubbe
11-01-2011, 1:59 PM
Ok, I'll adjust my settings and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the advice!