PDA

View Full Version : Un-photographed gloat...

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-24-2011, 7:00 PM
Sorry, had no camera on me at the time...
The story starts with the usual trip out from work in a van. I spotted two guys chopping a beech tree down, one on the ground throwing maybe 5" diameter logs into a shredder... EEEK! I ponder, then stop (remember this is works time, not far from work). Ask the question "Could I get some of that?" End of story, having paid £5.00 for "whatever they can spare", I return 4 hours later to see a 'small' pile lying in a corner (They should have cleared the whole lot when they left). "Ho-hum, not much there," I think. get back to work, dash ouut in my estate car, and when I get close enough to tell, there are:-

2x slabs possibly 3' diameter 6" thick,
8x 5' lengths between 4 and 8" diameter,
6x 3' lengths 10" diameter, with branches knocked off (figuring?)
more tiddlers 1 to 2' long, and 4 or 5" diameter.

So I've split it up, given some to a mate, and stored some on the allotment ("her indodors won't be happy to see the whole lot", I think!)

Should have taken photo's before the haul was split, I'll try and remember next time.
Oh, and I know there are better hauls out there, for size, qty, and types of wood.... BUT this was the first itme I have managed to be cheeky enough to ask, and get some!

I have turned the first piece into a thin wall goblet type form - pic will follow, hoping it will distort on drying. It's currently 2 3/4" tall, 3" outside diameter and 2 7/8" internal diameter. Thin enough when wet to allow light off the lathe to show through. A lovely pinkish / orange hue.

charlie knighton
10-24-2011, 7:30 PM
enjoy, when you look at a turning from found wood, it will take you back

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2011, 9:14 PM
That sounds like quite a haul. Enjoy.