PDA

View Full Version : walnut & hackberry hf's and photo ?

Bill Bolen
10-24-2011, 5:21 PM
I think it's spalted hackberry anyhow! The person who gave it to me thought it was sweet gum, but I really don't think so.
Hackberry is 7x5 or so and the walnut UFO is 6x3. My real reason for posting is I'm really trying to upgrade my photo abilities. Pics were taken in a newly completed light tent and with a new point and shoot camera I was given last Christmas. I sure would appreciate any pointers as to improving the photo's. All I did to them once off the camera was to crop/straighten and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button in Picasa. As for the turnings, heck, I'll take advice there too! :)
I seem to have the most trouble getting enough light without creating a ton of glare. (note how dark the walnut is) I'm using 2 100 watt cfl daylight bulbs (overhead) and an additional pair of 60 watt bulbs on the side with the light bouncing of a white board then through the tent fabric. All are shinning through the tent material.
Thanks in advance

Jim Burr
10-24-2011, 5:47 PM
The masquerading Hackberry is amazing!! Great form on the walnut...not sure about the mouth, but I'm still staring at the hackberry.

Josh Bowman
10-24-2011, 6:11 PM
Walnuts nice also, but really like the hackberry. The foot on the hackberry seems to flare a little though, but that's all my eye see's as any kind of delta. Is that mold that makes it so black?

Nate Davey
10-24-2011, 6:15 PM
I would agree with it being Hackberry. Beautiful form on it. The walnut is great, the finish is perfect on it.

Jamie Donaldson
10-24-2011, 6:51 PM
The problem with shining all those lights from different directions through a fabric tent is that the light is scattered everywhere! In most cases too much light illuminates the background, and not enough falls on the front of the turning, as is the case with this walnut piece. Notice the shadow is in the front, rather than on a back quarter, thus eliminating much of the appearance of 3D in both images. You would be much better off with 1 main light source near the front upper side, and maybe a smaller 1 above. It's not about drowning the turning in light, but painting the object in a light situation that enhances the perception of reality! I can also see that you have 2 different types of CFL bulbs that have different color balances, just to make life more interesting.

Bill Bolen
10-24-2011, 8:55 PM
Thanks Jamie. I'll try your suggestions next. I find myself wondering how dark will the piece be when I cut down to 1 or 2 lights?

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2011, 9:09 PM
Bill both of those are beauties.

BILL DONAHUE
10-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Bill, Those are both beautiful pieces and the photgraphy looks perfect to me. Sure beats my Harbor Freight photo tent.

Baxter Smith
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Both look great Bill. Really like that spalted hackberry!

Michelle Rich
10-25-2011, 5:42 AM
gotta love the tall HF..stunning wood & nice shape

Scott Hackler
10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jamie. I'll try your suggestions next. I find myself wondering how dark will the piece be when I cut down to 1 or 2 lights?

Bill, with lower light level you adjust the shutter speed (in manual mode) to keep it open longer, i.e let in more light. It's a lot of tweaking to get the settings right. My pictures look a ton better than when I first started to take "decent" pictures, but I am still tweaking the settings to get a "high quality" photo. I just don't spend enough time with it.

Bill Bolen
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Scott...afraid my camera does not offer that option. My film camera does but not the cheapo digital.